FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By crys331
I keep mine outside all year as well and they seem as happy as ever. They digest all kinds of bugs, I have even had to rescue several lizards from them!
By Cretaceous
hegory wrote:a note for section 2: when an insect attempts to fly out of a pitcher, generaly with the taller thinner types such as Flava, Alata, etc. the airflow their wings cause creates a sort of vacuum in the tube dragging the insect even lower.
Really interesting. How does this work though? Sounds counterintuitive. I would think:
- insect generally moves forward by pushing air backward
- inside a tube sealed on one end (the trap fluid) and the insect pointing up, pressurization created behind helping insect to get out

Would love to know how the plant is able to reverse that
By VickisFT
I have a sarr that is just breaking dormancy. It sent up a single beautiful pitcher, so far. As I live in Wisconsin, I have been setting it outside on nice days to acclimate it ( I got it in January). Yesterday, I found the pitcher snapped in half 😥. It was loaded with flies...some still alive! No chew marks were in the tube. Could the weight of all the flies and the fact that the lone pitcher had no other pitchers for support be the reason this pitcher snapped? Thank you in advance!
By Bonez
I always wondered- on sarrs that have lids with intent on blocking rain, how do they digest insects? Whenever I peek inside of the pitcher, all the caught insects appear dry as a bone. All biological digestion, to my knowledge, occurs exclusively in a watery mixture.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!