FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By SDK1
I think you'll be very happy with the proper VS lamp you've got ordered. The LM301b's and a meanwell driver really does the trick for almost any plant. Pretty sure the driver can be detached from the board and hung somwhere close by but you can look into that later if you're interested. It's just better thermal managment as the driver produces a fair amount on its own.

Small scale lighting is always on my mind too so I get it :D . Whether it's for seedlings, that one plant that wants a little bit more than the window offers, or the one plant that needs to go on timeout for pests, I always need just a liiittle bit of light where I don't have it.

I'd suggest looking at these unless they're what you're already talking about.
Screenshot_20230106-135240_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20230106-135240_Firefox.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
$5.67 at my walmart and the clamp is nice but can be removed if you don't need it. The aluminum reflector can be removed as well so it's just an E26/27 socket to a 2 prong plug. They're what I use and are pretty handy.

Edit: forgot to mention, Amazon has PAR38 LED floodlights from a bunch of manufacturers for $5.00/bulb. May want to look into some of those.
By Intheswamp
I had to run to the grocery store and the P1000 arrived while I was gone. I think I'll check it out and get a return started. I've still got time on the return of the Mars Hydro to use it until the other VS gets here. ;)

Yes, I actually use some of that type of work light fixtures, though I use the "brooder" type of sockets made of ceramic to withstand heat lamps. The plastic sockets should work well with the lower heat of LED lights. I'm looking at something possibly a bit more "refined", though, to satisfy my daughter.<grin> The coffee can idea would basically be a coffee can painted with probably black paint and some cross-wires probably an inch or some from the top side to fasten a lamp socket to. Ok, so I have redneck taste.<grin> The work/brooder lights are *really* handy for lots of things, though...and in my old trailer where I grow my vegetable seedlings and presently have my carnivorous plants at they would work fine. ;)

I'll see if the driver is easily movable or not. But, really I have an open area that the XS1000 will be hanging from so I doubt I'll have a problem with heat.
SDK1 liked this
By Intheswamp
Quick note...I gotta do the "Driving Miss Daisy" down to go see our granddaughters in a few minutes. ;)

I just replaced the Mars Hydro TS600 with the Viparspectra XS1000. I really didn't get much of a chance to check it out as I was on a tight schedule. What I did see was a much heavier light. The driver *is* removable. Good hanging hardware. Dimmer works nice and smooth. It is BRIGHT.

So far the only negative I have for the XS1000 is that it does not have is a bit of a hood around the edges to help shield stray light like the TS600 has. Sitting in the room with the light I can see that I will have to be careful when I glance over towards it...it's blinding. I feel that this lets a bit of light get "lost", too. In a grow tent this would be fine, but in my situation with growing in an open room it's a little irritating and lossy. I may end up getting some heavy foil to hang around the edges...at least on the two sides I will be looking at.

Overall and in my humble opinion, it is much higher quality than the Mars Hydro TS600. But, it is several more dollars, too. It's a nice light. I'll post more as I have a chance to tinker with it.

One more thing. I thought it was bad out of the box. Then remember it had the dimmer!!! Works like a charm!!! :lol:
SDK1 liked this
By Intheswamp
I had a heat spike in the grow room night before last. Early that morning I took the temperature gun and checked the XS1000 and it was hotter than the TS600 ran. The high temp on the TS600 was 139F while the XS1000 topped out at 149F!!! In all honesty, the actual readings on the gun was 134F and 144F, but the gun, at this temperature range, reads about 5-degrees low...so I added 5 degrees to each reading. I thought the LX1000 would be cooler-running. :| One container of stratified sundews I'd just planted zoomed to 91F :shock: :? Though it was an unusually warm night and I think I had the room too "zipped up" for all the lights running in it. Naturally, since I've opened a window and a vent in the door the temperature has dropped and will be dropping for the next 3-4 nights.<sigh>
By jmoore3274
156 volts from that panel to run LED's? Good grief. I personally use Cree Horticultural LED's in the lights I design and build for personal use.

Remember these names when it comes to LED's:

Cree
Samsung
Osram

These are the top 3 LED manufacturers in order. All of them have tuned LED's for horticulture.

When it comes to LED drivers Meanwell HLG series is the only way to go. They are 90+% efficient.
SDK1 liked this
By SDK1
Agree with jmoore across the board.

Also very surprised that the XS 1000 is getting so hot for you @Intheswamp. It does have an external driver that you can remove, right? If so, I'd give some serious thought to removing the driver and hanging it or placing it far enough away from the board that the heat doesn't raise the temp of the board.
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!