FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By melvyn
I have only just acquired a couple vfts and I am looking to put them in a terrarium set up. I’ve read a lot about the soil they need (and all the many kinds they absolutely cannot have). I understand that drainage is important as well. I’d like to use a rock layer beneath the soil to act as a drainage area, but I am concerned that the rocks I choose could leach minerals and kill my plants.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use or what I should be looking for?
By KategoricalKarnivore
I have two big container bogs with rock in the bottom for drainage. One is just plain ole pea gravel and one is plain ole river rocks. Both from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Either should be fine for your setup.
By Jeeper
I've used pea gravel and aquarium'natural' gravel in the past. Another option could be a layer of perlite if you have a screen between it and the moss above (perlite may 'float' to the top without something to stop it). Or you could use the "hydro-balls" people use in vivariums and hydroponics...
Jeeper liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!