FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I happened to bump one of the pitchers of my Dana's Delight this morning and noticed that the rhizome sort of "rocked" in the soil.
I carefully dug up the plant to see if perhaps the roots had been severed or damaged by crane fly larvae (they're a problem here) but the roots are firmly attached and have good color. The part of the rhizome below the media surface is dark brown and a bit soft. I repotted this plant about 3 months ago and don't recall any issues with color or texture at that time. The above-ground growth is green/white and healthy, if slow, but Dana's tend to put on their best growth in late summer so I'm not too concerned.
That said, is any softness in a Sarr rhizome a cause for alarm?
Are some rhizomes "firmer" than others?
The plant gets 8 hours of direct sun each day, sits in a tray with 2-3 inches of zero water. No top watering.
I didn't see any evidence of pest damage to the roots, but I could run a mosquito bits drench to be safe.
All advice appreciated!
By Barlapipas 6
I don’t have any experience with tall Sarracenia but I think over time the old rhizome parts will die slowly. Wait for answers from more experienced growers. Also a picture would help.
By Gary
Yes, I should have taken a pic while I had it removed from the media. I'm reluctant to stress the plant any further right now. There's one immature pitcher and a phyloddia on the plant right now and both seem healthy. If they start to decline I'll have my answer.
By steve booth
Normally rhizomes are firm all round its perimeter, in normal growth patterns, rot generally starts at the end of rhizomes, this being the oldest part of the plant and therefore most prone to dying back,.
When this happens the rhizome at this point is soft-ish, brown and corky looking with no roots (these have rotted away already). If your rhizome is brown cut the brown out, back to white healthy tissue (which will slowly turn brown when exposed to the air, but that isn't rot) as brown already in a rhizome is rot, and if the plant is stressed or not very healthy it will spread.
I agree it's not a good idea to dig the poor thing up again causing it more stress, so monitor it, and if it shows signs of getting worse, act fast before you lose the plant. Better to have a short stump of a plant that will recover in time, than no plant at all.
Cheers
Steve
By Gary
Here's the plant. You'll probably see some tiny brownish dots on the pitcher, I'm still working with a thrips problem.
0510230954.jpg
0510230954.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 1070 times
Attachments:
0510230954a.jpg
0510230954a.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 1070 times
By Gary
Thanks Steve. Whew!

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!