FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By jetfire245
In regards to: Aquatic Life Ro buddy

Through the search function I learned that the ro buddy is a very respected reverse osmosis system due to its ease of installation and use.

It would be perfect for my use.

My real question is: I can't decide if I should get the 4 stage with the de-ionizer or just get the standard 3 stage. I'm just not sure if the 4 stage is worth it. I live in Florida so my ppm is at like 200.

Let me know your feedback! Thank you.
By NightRaider
I literally just got one a few weeks back so perfect timing for this question. I got the 3 stage even though it was only a few $$ cheaper because the 4 stage apparently requires it to be mounted/oriented vertically when in use and I wanted to just be able to hook it up to an outside spigot and toss it on the ground while it runs. Anyway, the 3 stage is more than adequate for getting below 50ppm. I'm on well water with only a sediment filter, so my input water is around 450ppm, and the filter managed to get it down to ~13ppm which is plenty low enough. Really the only reason I can think of for getting a 4-stage over a 3-stage is if you were needing it for doing aquarium water changes.
By Panman
I got the 4 stage, but agree that the 3 stage is all that is needed. Depending on how much you need how quickly, you may want to invest in the pump that will increase output and decrease waste water.
Dan V liked this
By jetfire245
Panman wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:42 pm I got the 4 stage, but agree that the 3 stage is all that is needed. Depending on how much you need how quickly, you may want to invest in the pump that will increase output and decrease waste water.
I go through about 4 gallons a week max. I was worried about my residential water pressure not being high enough.
By Do_Gon
Panman wrote:I got the 4 stage, but agree that the 3 stage is all that is needed. Depending on how much you need how quickly, you may want to invest in the pump that will increase output and decrease waste water.
Don't you need the 4th one to remove chloramines?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

By jetfire245
Do_Gon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm
Panman wrote:I got the 4 stage, but agree that the 3 stage is all that is needed. Depending on how much you need how quickly, you may want to invest in the pump that will increase output and decrease waste water.

From my understanding. The carbon filter does that on the three stage.
By Do_Gon
jetfire245 wrote:
Do_Gon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm

That only filters out the chlorine. Image

By Do_Gon
When I bought mine, a couple years ago, I had contacted the company and asked which additional filter I needed to filter out the chloramines. They sent me a link to the 4th one I'd need. It was almost the same price as the 3 Chambers in it's own. $50 or so. I'm not sure why I asked about it. Are we sure that the 3 stage is safe to use on our plants without that filter?

By jetfire245
Do_Gon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 pm
jetfire245 wrote:
Do_Gon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm Don't you need the 4th one to remove chloramines?

That only filters out the chlorine. Image

The nature of carbon filters inherently removes chloramine. ALTHOUGH it may not necessarily remove 99% of it in one pass.

That fourth filter is there to bring the water down to 0ppm. It's always argued carnivorous plants will be fine on water up to 100ppm (and some even more)

A little more info here: https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/ques ... thers-dont

As another user said here. The three stage brought their water down to about 15ppm which is perfectly within the range of acceptable water. Even if all 15 particles (per million) were chloramine, that would be such a negligible amount.

The initial cost of the fourth filter isn't a concern. It's just the fact that's one more filter you have to pay money to replace and one more thing you have to do just to maintain water quality, because you cannot let deionizing filters go bad, as they'll start releasing contaminants back into the water. Though most filters will do this, the deionizer is especially unforgiving from my understanding.

Edit: I just checked and my local city doesn't even use chloramine just chlorine.
By Do_Gon
Cool. Sounds like I'm getting the 3 Chamber one this round. Thanks guys.

By jetfire245
UPDATE:I installed the filter outside on my wall attached to the hose. The water reads between 200-240ppm before filtration. Using the 3 stage ro buddy filter, it brings the ppm down to only 1ppm!

Not only that, but I'm producing well above the expected GPH. I get 1 gallon/per 20 minutes. That's 3 gallons/per hour (72 gallons possible) from a filter rated at 50 gallons per day.

I installed a membrane flush valve to ensure longer life of the filter.

I'm extremely satisfied with the ro buddy and have to praise this device for its highly affordable price and easy installation.
Panman liked this

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!