FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss carnivorous plant websites here

Moderator: Matt

By jlagrange9137
I'm curious about how everyone gets their information (beginner). I'm relatively new and I'm noticing that different sites will have different opinions and views on certain things. Any recommendations for some solid sites that are consistently good?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
Different opinions and views on what? There isn't just one way to do anything :)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By jlagrange9137
Adelaide wrote:Different opinions and views on what? There isn't just one way to do anything :)

Well that's exactly what I mean. Even stuff as simple as substrate recipes and temperatures can be different from site to site. I have the plants that I currently have pretty well down, but when I look to expand, I like to know exactly what I'm getting in to... I'm the type of person that makes spreadsheets on the needs of everything that I'm caring for. It's a habit I learned from years of reptile keeping.

By Adelaide
There are different substrate recipes because there are different combinations that work. Pick the one you're comfortable or that you prefer and stick with that. What are you looking to start growing?

By erikHIplants
What is it that you are interested in growing? I too am relatively new and my collection has expanded quite rapidly. I have many resources that I have used and a few personal trial and error stories. I currently have sundews and pinguicula.

The forum members here are far more experienced than I am and have great advice to share. Just ask around, the people are very helpful.
By jlagrange9137
I love every single Nep. that I have seen, pings, I like sarracenia purpurea (I already have some of these seeds in the fridge) there's really not any that I DON'T want. That's my problem. I don't have a go to source for information on everything that I want to learn. I've spent about 30mins-hour a day for the past two months online and I feel like I still don't actually know anything because of the contradictions I keep seeing.

By erikHIplants
jlagrange9137 wrote:I love every single Nep. that I have seen, pings, I like sarracenia purpurea (I already have some of these seeds in the fridge) there's really not any that I DON'T want. That's my problem. I don't have a go to source for information on everything that I want to learn. I've spent about 30mins-hour a day for the past two months online and I feel like I still don't actually know anything because of the contradictions I keep seeing.

Well like Adelae said, there's no one right way to do things. There are multiple ways that work and don't work. Why don't you start with a plant genus that you like and work from there.

I personally started with drosera and it's been awesome.
By Benurmanii
Most reliable resource, in my opinion, is understanding the habitat the plant you are interested in comes from. Of course, it takes a lot of digging to learn about obscure plants. Another good way to learn is to get a few beginner species from each genera and ask lots of questions. Never stop researching either! :D I started growing CPs August of last year and I try to take some time to look up plant info every day.
By Smooter80
A lot of the contradictions you are finding are just different ways you can do the same thing. There is also a lot of just plain misinformation out there. Your best bet is to make friends with people who successfully grow what you want to grow. It helps if they are growing in conditions similar to what you have. Don't pick the guy/gal saying you need computer controlled humidity and temps. Don't pick the guy/gal growing Neps outside in the tropics if you live in the desert and will be growing indoors.
By erikHIplants
Smooter80 wrote:A lot of the contradictions you are finding are just different ways you can do the same thing. There is also a lot of just plain misinformation out there. Your best bet is to make friends with people who successfully grow what you want to grow. It helps if they are growing in conditions similar to what you have. Don't pick the guy/gal saying you need computer controlled humidity and temps. Don't pick the guy/gal growing Neps outside in the tropics if you live in the desert and will be growing indoors.
:lol: I'm the tropics guy. Minus the neps.
By Smooter80
:) I guess I would be the Mediterranean with a touch of heat and low humidity guy. I have to grow most plants besides VFTs, Sarrs, Drosophyllum and a few Drosera inside.
By cjpflaumer
If I need new information I usually seek out multiple sources. I then base what I am going to do either on, the most feasible option for myself/climate/availability etc. Or I will base it on what the most common was. If 4 websites do it one way and 1 does it different I'll follow the 4. This forum has given me more information than anywhere else. It's like the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By jlagrange9137
Skinning cats is another hobby entirely. Not really my cup of tea.
cjpflaumer wrote:If I need new information I usually seek out multiple sources. I then base what I am going to do either on, the most feasible option for myself/climate/availability etc. Or I will base it on what the most common was. If 4 websites do it one way and 1 does it different I'll follow the 4. This forum has given me more information than anywhere else. It's like the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

By cjpflaumer
jlagrange9137 wrote:Skinning cats is another hobby entirely. Not really my cup of tea.
cjpflaumer wrote:If I need new information I usually seek out multiple sources. I then base what I am going to do either on, the most feasible option for myself/climate/availability etc. Or I will base it on what the most common was. If 4 websites do it one way and 1 does it different I'll follow the 4. This forum has given me more information than anywhere else. It's like the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Lol well yeah. It's just a phrase. I don't either!

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!