FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By WNQuelex
Hello guys,

I purchased a red cape sundew from Predatory plants about a month and half ago. I received it bare rooted with New Zealand long fiber sphagnum moss. I have a mini carnivorous plant bog so I opted out of the moss and decided to plant it on my bog instead. I do not know what is wrong with it, it doesn’t seem to grow. It looks like new leaves are coming in but they end up growing just a little and start to brown up at the tips and die. Most of the plants on my bog, including the dirt I use, were purchased from California Carnivores. Some were purchased from predatory plants. I live in Southern California and They get 5 hours of direct morning sun and 4 hours of direct afternoon sun. I have many other sundews that are growing really well, just this one has got me stumped. Any recommendations?
Red Cape Sundew
Red Cape Sundew
image.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 1859 times
My mini bog
My mini bog
image.jpg (5.3 MiB) Viewed 1859 times
By Panman
Cute bog. You may run into issues with dormancy with that selection of plants, but we won't address that here. For a month, it still may be trying to acclimate to its new environment. Also, if you put it straight into full sun after being bareroot, it may be struggling to get the moisture up to the plant short of potting it separately and bagging it, I don't know what you can do about that. It has all the signs of a stressed plant, but in your environment, there isn't much you can do to coax it along.
WNQuelex liked this
By WNQuelex
Thank you so much for your input. It’s really weird because I have 3 other sundews that I received bare rooted and this is the only one that is giving me any issues. Ive given them all the same treatment :(
By Panman
A couple of more questions. You say it gets morning and afternoon sun. Are you moving it or is it just that the location is shaded part of the day? Did you get all of the other plants within a week or so of each other, or were they spread out over a longer period of time. I'm still leaning towards the plant trying to acclimate. One other thing you should consider, though, is that unless you know what those stones are, and that they will not leach minerals into the soil in the acid peat environment, you will want to remove them. Over an extended period of time, some stones will poison the soil. Glass beads are generally safe.
By WNQuelex
Yes, I am moving them I live in an apartment and I found to be the best way to grow them given my situation. They were spread out over a longer period of time. The stones are decorative polished stones. I bought them at target. It said that they were quartz. Hmm, but I like the glass idea :D
By Panman
Moving them isn't an ideal situation. Often times it causes the plants more stress, although your plants do look fairly healthy. You should consider adding artificial light to supplement the sun light so that you can leave them in one spot, that would be best. Also, if you can remove the screen from the window, that will allow them to receive more light. The screen acts like a shade cloth. Next season you are going to need to come up with an alternative because those pitcher plants are going to get bigger. Not to mention the dormancy issues with the flytraps, sarrs, and capes.
By Bug_cemetery
Not sure where you are located but if you have had really hot weather like many of us have that could be a factor. My capensis took longer to acclimate to outdoor heat than other drosera did and still sulks when it’s over 90f but eventually started putting out new leaves with dew.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!