FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Melle
Hi all,

I'm going to build a wall-greenhouse soon. It is a DIY project. I made a concept sketch for the idea.
Greenhouse in not heated. It has full sun 6-8 hours a day. Mid summer maybe even more.

I have some Dionaea, Sarracenia and Drosera's already. All the Dionaea's and Sarracenias are winter hardy. They survived a couple of years already. Drosera's are new. Some are winterhard, some not.
- Can I put the non winter hardy Drosera's in the green house the whole year? Or winter inside?

- What other carnivorous plants would you recommend in this green house?

All suggestions and advice is welcome. :)
By Melle
Today I picked up a second hand greenhouse. Easier then make one myself. See the photo.

Photo: Image
mcgrumpers wrote:How large is your concept greenhouse?

Do sarracenias / VFTs even benefit from being in a greenhouse?
I think sarracenia's do, and some drosera's. But that is indeed my question. What species do best in a greenhouse?

Thanks!
By Nepenthes0260
Neps, pings, tropical Drosera, and orchids do well in my greenhouse. If you're wanting a temperate greenhouse, sarrs, temperate dews, temperate pings, and cobras would do well inside it. The only downside to growing sarrs in a greenhouse is that they can get "greenhouse tan", which makes their colors much darker than they would be if they were being grown outside in normal sun. While this seems like a good thing, plants inside of the greenhouse can have really dark tanning, which other growers you might distribute the plant to will not attain outside in normal sun, so it is hard in a greenhouse to tell which colors are real of that species/hybrid and which ones aren't. Also, in a greenhouse it's kind of hard to get a longer dormancy on sarrs.
By Melle
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Neps, pings, tropical Drosera, and orchids do well in my greenhouse. If you're wanting a temperate greenhouse, sarrs, temperate dews, temperate pings, and cobras would do well inside it. The only downside to growing sarrs in a greenhouse is that they can get "greenhouse tan", which makes their colors much darker than they would be if they were being grown outside in normal sun. While this seems like a good thing, plants inside of the greenhouse can have really dark tanning, which other growers you might distribute the plant to will not attain outside in normal sun, so it is hard in a greenhouse to tell which colors are real of that species/hybrid and which ones aren't. Also, in a greenhouse it's kind of hard to get a longer dormancy on sarrs.
Thanks.
What dews are temperate?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
By Nepenthes0260
Melle wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Neps, pings, tropical Drosera, and orchids do well in my greenhouse. If you're wanting a temperate greenhouse, sarrs, temperate dews, temperate pings, and cobras would do well inside it. The only downside to growing sarrs in a greenhouse is that they can get "greenhouse tan", which makes their colors much darker than they would be if they were being grown outside in normal sun. While this seems like a good thing, plants inside of the greenhouse can have really dark tanning, which other growers you might distribute the plant to will not attain outside in normal sun, so it is hard in a greenhouse to tell which colors are real of that species/hybrid and which ones aren't. Also, in a greenhouse it's kind of hard to get a longer dormancy on sarrs.
Thanks.
What dews are temperate?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Drosera linearis, Drosera anglica (not the Hawaiian forms), Drosera rotundifolia, Drosera filiformis, Drosera intermedia, Drosera x Hybrida.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!