FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
It's finally starting to warm up here and as a result, my VFTs are starting to catch some meals. I just went outside to prune some of the dead leaves off of my fly traps and I found this dude in one of my traps:

He's still out there squirming!
By WORMSS
hehe, It looks like the plant has been sewn shut with a needle and thread.

He obviously is a little too big to fit in that trap.. or atleast not in that position.
What would be best to do?
Cut the insect at where he sticks out? or just let the plant deal with it? and not close.
By Matt
I just left it and let the plant deal with it. Usually when something too big, like the wasp in this photo, gets caught, the trap turns black, but in this case it didn't. I assume it digested the head portion of the wasp. The trap just reopened a little over a week ago.
By Kisanath
Thats really cool! I read that they turn black, too, but that hasn't happened to any of mine yet.

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to reply to comments yet. ^-^'
Yes, all the traps have opened up again. The dead fly was still there, though... Thats probably what it was, and they'd never seen a VFT in their lives. I'm just glad no one tried to water it.

My friend really likes your picture, by the way. She's trying to get hers to eat a wasp now. :D
By thegirlnextdoor42
thats awesome! i wish my traps would catch something good for once!! oh, but you know when those super tiny flytraps start growing? i left it out and the next day theyre were ants in them! it was soo surprising cuz i didnt know they can close that early!
By Matt
thegirlnextdoor42 wrote:oh, but you know when those super tiny flytraps start growing? i left it out and the next day theyre were ants in them! it was soo surprising cuz i didnt know they can close that early!
That's really cool! Yeah, they can catch things as soon as they put out their first traps. It's pretty amazing that traps so tiny are functional.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!