FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
Hey peeps, I've been wanting to add some support to my Sarracenia pot, as whenever it rains, the pitchers get knocked down. I haven't had any issues with rodents or birds, and I'm currently using wooden skewers and twist ties, but I'd like to use something more visually pleasing and sturdy.
By Intheswamp
Sections of bamboo set in three or four corners of your pot with maybe a sisal rope going around it in two or three places? You could even use bamboo for the horizontals if you wanted to. Let the bamboo dry well (if you harvest fresh) or you might end up growing bamboo in your pot. You could also do the same thing with dowels...basically caging rather than staking. FWIW.
By chomato

Intheswamp wrote:Sections of bamboo set in three or four corners of your pot with maybe a sisal rope going around it in two or three places? You could even use bamboo for the horizontals if you wanted to. Let the bamboo dry well (if you harvest fresh) or you might end up growing bamboo in your pot. You could also do the same thing with dowels...basically caging rather than staking. FWIW.
Thanks for the tip!
By madrone
I've also used ring stands or even 'flower supports' in my sarr pots. When they don't come the right 'diameter', I've done some wire bending of my own. I like the ones that are open/close-able on the side so I can adjust and loop in more pitchers over the season. There are some good tutorials on youtube, but I'm happy to point you to some of the ones I've used if that would be helpful (just let me know)!

You can see a few in action in a post I am about to make 'Spring 2023'
By DragonsEye
Peony grid-rings would work well, though I doubt such rings are common for smaller pots. https://www.amazon.com/Hanlin-Flower-Su ... B093QL8C9K

I've never used one for my couple sarrs cuz Sarr. Leah Wilkerson is good about standing up on her own, but have used this at my folks's place for "balloon flowers" (Platycodon grandiflorus) because they get so loaded with blooms that a decent rain or sprinkler action makes them so top heavy they want to fall over.
Panman liked this
By chomato

madrone wrote:I've also used ring stands or even 'flower supports' in my sarr pots. When they don't come the right 'diameter', I've done some wire bending of my own. I like the ones that are open/close-able on the side so I can adjust and loop in more pitchers over the season. There are some good tutorials on youtube, but I'm happy to point you to some of the ones I've used if that would be helpful (just let me know)!

You can see a few in action in a post I am about to make 'Spring 2023'
Hey yes, I did get a glimpse of a light green ring stand on one of the pics you posted on your "Spring 2023" post. I was told I could find similar ring stands at HD, but I couldn't find any. Can you point me to the tutorials you found?
By madrone
chomato wrote:Can you point me to the tutorials you found?
I didn't make mine, but am actually thinking I'd like to. I've used ready-made rings...and what I don't like about them is they usually overhang the pot edge. Like I have a 6" pot, but it's an 8" ring, then other plants are growing through/into the wrong ring. What I do like about them is - buy, install, repeat. Simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F ... UTF8&psc=1

I've also used these flower supports for a wayward unruly pitcher or flower stalk: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085S ... UTF8&psc=1

I've actually been thinking of trying to create something like I use for some of the larger flowering plants in my garden, basically kind of a U-support, and then if you put two in a pot, you've created a ring. If/when I get around to trying this, I'll reply here with results, but this looks somewhat similar to what I'm imagining, just not 9.8"W (Also, I haven't actually used something like this, and I don't think it needs to be interlocking): https://www.amazon.com/LEOBRO-Plant-Sup ... 148&sr=8-2

I think they'd be easier to install too - not a hoop with connected stakes, just a simple U to scoop the plant into submission. That's it - you've inspired me to get off my butt to do some beta testing. I'll be back with updates, but maybe this has given you some ideas of your own - I'd love to see what you come up with!
By madrone
DragonsEye wrote:it could be adjusted to fit a narrower pot -- even bent to make a closed circle/hoop, if desired.
Oooh, I like that engineering idea - ready made and 'adjustable'. Thinking of getting some soon as I also have some wayward pitchers!
By madrone
chomato wrote:Can you point me to the tutorials you found?
I did a little lunch time messing about, and also (re)found a wire-bending tutorial, that I had used for corralling sprawley orchids. I think that tutorial is nice for a polished product. I'm not quite sure if thin wire, a heavy sarr, and outside wind would resist sufficiently (or if the single stake would pop out of the media), so maybe this is best for smaller plants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZipK9jEQgc

Here's what I did at lunch - a lazy attempt. I took some of this wire (18-gauge (which I think is a little thin, but what I had on hand), plastic-coated):
P6281328.JPG
P6281328.JPG (7.24 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
Bent it into a U (I'm thinking the U should be pot circumference-sized, or maybe a little smaller (esp. for growing in trays with lots of pots jammed together)).
P6281320.JPG
P6281320.JPG (1011.1 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Then bent the U at a 90-degree angle
P6281319.JPG
P6281319.JPG (6.38 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
Then before and after:
P6281321.JPG
P6281321.JPG (8.02 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
P6281322.JPG
P6281322.JPG (7.22 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
It was a little big for that 4" pot, so I used the trick that @DragonsEye suggested, and bent it a bit more - made it less of a U and more round-shaped.
P6281323.JPG
P6281323.JPG (6.02 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
with a little interlocking action (why not)
P6281324.JPG
P6281324.JPG (6.14 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
And put it to use in a different pot.
P6281326.JPG
P6281326.JPG (7.2 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
Suggestions for improvements? Other design ideas? Thoughts on plain old galvanized wire (rather than coated) - concerns about the galvanized 'zinc-iron alloy' leaching into the pots?

Been appreciating seeing other folks ideas. Depending on the plant, I see myself implementing a variety of these in the bogs this summer!
wcrosman liked this
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!