FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PlantBro
Do healthy fly traps put up stalks that fail/are duds? This VFT started putting up a flower stalk around 6-8 weeks ago which was growing very fast, to the point where I had to raise my light. I never saw it bloom or flower, but it has blackened considerably over the last 10days to include the middle of the stalk. Is this something that just happens or did it actually seed? If not is it best to let it keep going or cut and propagate the failed flower stalk? It is currently a very healthy plant and has also divided at the same time as growing the stalk, with more vigorous growth coinciding with the blackening. Any input is appreciated, thanks. (top watered 0ppm rodi, in lfsm with live top, 14 hr strong LED lighting)
Attachments:
IMG_5994.jpeg
IMG_5994.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 647 times
IMG_5985.jpeg
IMG_5985.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 647 times
IMG_5971.jpeg
IMG_5971.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 647 times
IMG_5902.jpeg
IMG_5902.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 647 times
By ChefDean
That plant doesn't look good, it's not getting enough light, and the stalk likely failed because of that. It either needs a stronger grow light for 16+ hours a day, or it needs to be outside in direct sunlight. Leave it as it is and it'll be dead soon.
By PlantBro
It was definitely light starved for a bit, got a new light about 5 weeks ago. I wasn’t sure if it it mattered much, but this was a grab from Lowes in March, most of the bad looking leaves are still original from then and mostly now trapless. I fed them and they pretty much had one go left, then just stayed there, even after the trap turned. New growth has been good though, with even the petiole starting somewhat red.
By PlantBro
I also did not order the pics well, the last one is from May 20th, when the stalk was still growing well, others are this week.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!