FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Anonymous_Owl88
Hey guys so my flytrap is dying 👍

Basically I got it a year and a half ago, lovingly named it Samwise, and it did fine until recently. Got some small red mite thing, couldn’t figure out what it was, but took care of it with neem oil. After that, it started to deteriorate really quickly. I did a little bit of research and it looks a lot like root rot, but I wonder about the neem oil effects. I’ve heard/read it can be bad but took the chance, it took care of bugs nicely. I keep it wet, bottom watering, and I think that might have caused root rot. It sent up a second flower stalk this month, which I let grow after the first one was eaten by the cat, so it’s weak and I’m afraid to repot because it’s so weak. I’ve attached a picture, it was fine until about a week and an half ago.
Attachments:
IMG_6818.jpeg
IMG_6818.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 913 times
By Anonymous_Owl88
I live in Colorado so the air is super dry. I water it probably once every 2-3 days. I always check the soil to make sure it’s not soaked, the soil is always wet but I wouldn’t say it’s soggy when I water it. There’s never any water left in the bottom of the pot. I have it in a south facing window, and it gets some direct light. Not as much as I would like but it’s the best place I have inside. I got it from Lowe’s so I have no idea what it’s potted in, I fed it every 2 ish weeks when it had open traps. I’d catch small bugs outside or use live mealworms, and that worked pretty well. I could never get it to take the freeze dried bloodworms, always just opened up after about 24 hours.
By ChefDean
Your response confirms my thoughts.
The media that these plants are in from Lowes aren't meant for long term. But the packaging isn't going to tell you this because they want you to buy another one when (not if) it dies.
The packaging also likely says to put it on a sunny windowsill, but modern glass filters sunlight so that it's practically worthless for VFT's. They need ~ six hours of direct sunlight or strong artificial lighting for ~ 16 hours a day. Outside on a cloudy day is more beneficial than the sunniest of windowsills.
That it keeps throwing up flower stalks is a strong sign that it's on its way out, many people call them death blooms. The plant is putting all it's energy into an attempt at producing seeds.
That all being said, it's still green, so there's a chance at saving it.
Repot it into fresh, appropriate media. A 50/50 mix of peat/perlite or 100% LFSM is recommended. Check to make sure the rhizome is nice and firm, cutting off any spots that are brown and soft. Then put it outside.
Start with a spot that gets a couple of hours of direct sunlight from sunrise. This light is less intense, and will help to begin to turn it around. Increase the direct sunlight by one hour per week until you're at about the six hour mark.
It may be too late, it is in bad shape. But it's still green, so give it a chance.
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!