FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By NightRaider
I have a couple trays of 2 year old, full grown spatulata Tamlin, natalensis, 'Watari', capillaris, etc that have spent their whole lives in a 1020 plug tray no deeper than 1.5". Would I recommend this? No, but these smaller species have never been bothered by it at least. That said, you still normally get a boost in growth by repotting after ~3-6 months or whenever you notice they start to get stunted, even if it's to a pot the exact same size. Something about the fresh soil I guess, I can't really explain it but I don't think I'm the only one here that has experienced it. That said, since those 2 are much larger plants I probably wouldn't keep them there for more than a few months to make sure they develop a solid root structure. I actually started both species in cells that size, and while aphids got them both after I repotted they seemed to stall out and need up-potted by around 3-4 months
By Intheswamp
Yes, I was concerned about the size of the plants versus the depth of the grow-mix. I figure by the time they get an inch tall I need to be moving them to deeper digs. I recently dug out a couple of sarrs seedlings (my first, and I'm struggling with them). Those little nickle/dime-sized plants had roots two inches long! I dunno, maybe I do need to go with a deeper pot that what these trays are. :?
By Intheswamp
Another question that I have is whether clear containers are ok to use. Most all of my plants, except for sphagnum moss, are grown in opaque containers. I've always just thought that light entering in through the sides of clear containers just wasn't natural for root growth and might do "wonky" things to the plant. But, I have no personal proof of that. The reason I'm asking is that you can buy packs of small food containers at the dollar stores that are black and come with the clear lids. They're cheap enough, but the deepest are only about 2" deep. On the other hand, you can buy clear food container in the same square inch footprint range that are 3-4 inches deep. But...they are clear. :| Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks!
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:13 pm Thanks DragsonsEye. How big do you let them get before potting them up?
Until I have space for them to have their own place. :D

The one issue with clear pots is that utricularia and many drosera will try to form plantlets under the media up against the clear sides in response to the light shining on the roots.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!