FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By StephenB200+
Two of my d. Intermedias are doing the same. I think I’m going to let them stay in cool down a bit longer. I would like to eventually leave them outdoors in the winter (zone 5b)… maybe this will make them a bit hardier.
By optique
why was outside i took some photos of my sundews to compare.

FL-giants growing of for next years sells

Dreamsicle potted to sell

binata dichotoma that didn't sell last year. If you look you can see it putting up from roots already.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
They look healthy, optique! Did you start these from seeds or leaf cuttings? What size are those brown pots? If you're not careful I'll start asking lots of questions! :mrgreen:
By Intheswamp
Ok, I mentioned that the Preying Hands tracyi has a voracious appetite and that I'd post some pictures. Well, it ain't purdy but it's got a full stomach and is growing like crazy, too! :lol:

@Panman, is this an anthocyanin-free plant...I've not seen any redness to it. :?: :D
Attachments:
IMG_8600ppcrop (Custom).jpg
IMG_8600ppcrop (Custom).jpg (790.61 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
IMG_8600pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_8600pp (Custom).jpg (626.04 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
By Intheswamp
Btw, those sarrs in the background are some of the $4.95 grab-bag specials that California Carnivories was selling this winter. They've busted loose over the last two weeks. :shock: I have even less experience with sarrs than I do with sundews...so I'm flying by the seat of my pants with these! :)
By Intheswamp
...and, the Forida Red White Flower that I won in one of Chef's games is trying to show out, too!!! I really need to get these plants out in the sun!!! It's about as hungry as Panman's tracyi!!!! And, it's already got three flower stalks!!!! :o I'm not sure of what to make out of that...do they bloom "early" in the season???
Attachments:
IMG_8595pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_8595pp (Custom).jpg (647.93 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
By optique
Intheswamp wrote:They look healthy, optique! Did you start these from seeds or leaf cuttings? What size are those brown pots? If you're not careful I'll start asking lots of questions! :mrgreen:
leaf cuttings or normal divisions like the FL-G's both the pots will be filled by fall and next spring i will pot some for sell and make some pots to divide the next year. The brown pots are 3.5in and they are leaf cutting from last year here is a photo.
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:05 am ...and, the Forida Red White Flower that I won in one of Chef's games is trying to show out, too!!! I really need to get these plants out in the sun!!! It's about as hungry as Panman's tracyi!!!! And, it's already got three flower stalks!!!! :o I'm not sure of what to make out of that...do they bloom "early" in the season???
That looks great!
Mine in Tennessee are typically covered in gnats, small flies, and small moths from the time the bugs return from H-E-double hockey sticks in the spring until I put them to bed for the winter. So, yes, they are hungry, and I'd expect them to do the same in Louisiana.
Mine also do a burst of blooming in the spring, to get their stank out in the world I guess. They are just beginning to wake up, so they haven't done it yet. They then calm down a bit, but continue to put up flower stalks periodically throughout the season.
Intheswamp liked this
By Panman
The tracyii is not anthocyanin free. The leaves will stay green but the flowers will be pink.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:28 pm The tracyii is not anthocyanin free. The leaves will stay green but the flowers will be pink.
Thanks for the info, Panman!!! So the plant itself stays green (without color) and the flower has to be white (without color) to be anthocyanin free?
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:28 pm The tracyii is not anthocyanin free. The leaves will stay green but the flowers will be pink.
I was just going through some old threads and came upon this one that sparked a question.

I've got all kinds of sundews blooming...capis, intermedia, brevifolia, florida reds, etc.,. But the long threadleaf (mature) plants I've got...two tracyii, and a florida giant x "can't remember...dreamisicle maybe?" haven't bloomed yet. Is that normal?
By Panman
I'm not sure what triggers them to flower. All of mine have flowered out and continue in some fashion for the rest of the season.

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!