FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By loveles
Hi I'm wondering where I should get my moss and such online for repotting. As we as what pots i should or shouldn't get.
By Intheswamp
Naturally the most cost-effective is buying a bale of good peat moss and a large bag of perlite and mixing your own. Do not buy Miracle-Gro stuff nor anything that has fertilizer in it! You will have to pick a bale up locally (HomeDepot, Lowes), but you will have to order a large bag of perlite online from somewhere. It really depends on how much potting mix you want or need to get. If you have room to store it, and you intend on staying with the hobby for a long time then the larger portions are far better choices economically. You can also adjust the ratios a bit for the varied types of plants...but, they all will be ok in a 50/50 peat and perlite mix.

There are vendors online (Amazon, eBay, Walmart, etc.) that sell pre-mixed "carnivorous plant soil"...some are ok some are not. Sometimes the quality varies. It's kind of a crapshoot. Ready-mixed CP soil bought from well known carnivorous plant sellers *should* be good. The grow mix that the FlytrapStore (sponsor of this forum) sells apparently is a very good mix, and though a little pricey it does include shipping (I think ;) ).

As an alternative, to the readymix but still in small volume you could go with a small bag each of perlite and peat moss:
Hoffman 10 qt peat moss on Amazon @ $20
Harris 8qt perlite on Amazon @ $16
That would give you basically four gallons of 50/50 grow-mix with a 1/2 gallon of peat moss left over. You could use the left over for a top dressing to cover the perlite (but the perlite *will* find it's way to the surface) or maybe for a seedbed on top of a pot of the regular grow-mix.

Naturally, you could substitute some dried Better-Gro sphagnum moss for the peat moss at a bit more expense. Things see to usually do better in it. If nothing else, you don't have the issue of excess humic acid and tannins present that can be a problem sometimes.

As for pots for the flytraps. It's usually stated to use plastic pots and (second choice) well-glazed ceramic pots. Terracotta, clay, stone, etc., pots that can leach minerals into the growing medium should be avoided. Flytraps have long roots so 6" deep pots are usually the minimum depth recommended. Big, 32oz plastic cups can work though regular plastic pots of the right height will be wider at the base and thus more stable. Plenty of drain/wicking holes should be in the bottom of the pots/cups. I usually add a few extra holes just above the bottom on the sides...in case the pot sits flat against the bottom of the tray/saucer the side holes allow free water movement.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum! Don't forget to check out the seed bank! ;)

ETA: What Evenwind said about the info on the Flytrapstore website and here on the forum...I had just already typed this when I saw his post! :D
By MikeB
Here are some possibilities for pots:

Whonline pots, 6.6" round x 5.7" tall
Terracotta-color: $22.99 for 20
White: $25.99 for 20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTYS88JP

BangQiao deep pots, white (the black & gray pots heat up too much in the sun)
4.4" round x 5.15" tall: 14 for $17.99
5.3" round x 6.15" tall: 10 for $17.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MN1DGMW

For sphagnum moss, check the indoor garden sections of Home Depot and Lowe's for Better-Gro Premium Grade Orchid Moss, runs about $6 a bag.
By Gary
I've had problems finding small plastic pots in hardware stores and even at nurseries. I finally located them at a local hydroponic supply store.
As for peat, I use Premier brand sphagnum peat moss (at Lowe's). They also sell Vigoro Perlite, it has no additives. You'll want to sift the peat through a cheap colander to remove small sticks and such. Be sure to rinse both the peat and Perlite in distilled water a couple times to remove the dust. Happy growing!
By ChefDean
loveles wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:22 pm Hi I'm wondering where I should get my moss and such online for repotting. As we as what pots i should or shouldn't get.
All the above suggestions are great, but first, we need to know what part of the world you're in. Some of those suggestions may not be available to you, and we can then offer suggestions on what to get to put it all together yourself.
wcrosman liked this
By loveles
I live about 30 mins drive(one way) from the nearest town with a big box store. we have a small farm store with in 10 ish mins but they didn't have any when i checked. I'm in the us in Iowa. I want to try to grow my own carnivores plants and will be getting more as i can.
By specialkayme
For pots, I've always been a fan of these: https://www.nehydro.com/square-white-nursery-pot-5-x-7/
The white color has always helped not fry my roots in the summer.

For planting media, I've always used repotme.com
Great selection of everything I've needed for carnivorous plants of all types, from pumice, perlite, new zealand sphagnum moss, or perlite. And if you want premixed media, they have that too.
Dan V liked this
By Intheswamp
evenwind wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:02 am And also chicken grit.
Kklljustnmakenaure the grit doesn’t have probiotics added to it. It seems it’s the new “thing” :!:

I’m still keeping my eyes peeled for some pure stuff, though. 👍🏼
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!