FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By silverfly
Good day. I bought a baby gj bloody nurse back in January and within the past month noticed that it has been getting yellow and dying off. I just did a soil change hoping that was it last week. Any suggestions? I had it in sphagnum moss and just changed it to peat soil for carnivorous plants. Distilled water obviously and it’s been in the same windowsill since I got it. Image
This is how it looks now. The leaves are limp and yellowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By DragonsEye
The light is my Q, too.
By VFTnPups
Windowsill is fine for dormancy, but it needs full sun or 16 hours under led panels during the growing season. I’ve heard GJ Bloody Nurse is one of the fussier cultivars, so it might do better under lights.
By ChefDean
silverfly wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:09 pmand it’s been in the same windowsill since I got it.
There's the answer as to why it's declining.
It can be the sunniest windowsill, receiving 23.8 hours of sunlight a day, and the plant will still, slowly die. Modern glass filters sunlight, and what it filters out is what the plant needs for long term health. Outside on a cloudy day is better than a sunny windowsill, that plant needs unfiltered sun.
I'm usually a tough love guy, but your plant is pretty sorry right now, so it will need to be acclimated. Assuming the media is appropriate (just because it's labeled as carnivorous plant media doesn't mean it's right), put it outside in a spot that gets a couple of hours of sun starting at sunrise, no more, and leave it there for a week. The next week put it in a spot that gets three hours, then four hours the next. Eventually leaving it in a spot, outside, with at least six hours of direct sunlight per day.
By silverfly
Ok. Good to know. I use long fiber nz sphagnum moss and Image
I normally bring my plants outside during the late spring/early summer and and a west facing window during the rest of the months that gets the afternoon sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!