FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By optique
My female N. (ventricosa × sibuyanensis) × (talangensis × aristolochioides) and Male N. ventricosa(red) are both flowering and i plan on getting the results out to the seed bank.
ImageImage

N. (ventricosa × sibuyanensis) × (talangensis × aristolochioides)
ImageImage
Camden, Intheswamp, ChelleB1005 and 2 others liked this
By ChefDean
Very cool!
I happen to know the seed bank guy. Really.
He's kinda sketchy, don't tell him about your secret fishing spot, but he's cool for an old guy. He'll definitely appreciate any seeds you can donate after your success.
Oh, and his lawn looks great!
Camden liked this
By Supercazzola
Not sure if the Chef will allow this, but if you tell him how many pods you may have to give, perhaps he could allow some of us to claim them before you ship them, and then you ship direct to the recipients (shipping paid by us)? With Nepenthes seeds, every day counts toward a higher germination success rate.
By optique
@Supercazzola,
I will get in contact when its time, Last summer a storm took out the growth point of my favorite nepenthes, I rooted the growth point. I will mail it and a seedpod for a small flat rate box. Sorry you lost some of your favorites.
nepenthes-secret-victory-t44433.html

@ChefDean,
whats the best way to mail it to you, sounds like people prefer pods but that wont work in a envelop? Also its a untested unique seed grown hybrid mother plant, hope it will be viable but you never know. I guessing another month to go. I will leave it inside to avoid shock but i think all my other plants can go outside this weekend.(hopefully)
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:14 pm Not sure if the Chef will allow this, but if you tell him how many pods you may have to give, perhaps he could allow some of us to claim them before you ship them, and then you ship direct to the recipients (shipping paid by us)?
Prior to them getting to the seed bank, it's a transaction between two members. My thoughts or feelings have nothing to do with it. With Nepenthes seeds only having a three month shelf life (under optimal conditions) before viability starts to drop (pretty much dead in a year), the more seeds directly to their final destination the better.
optique wrote:@ChefDean,
What's the best way to mail it to you, sounds like people prefer pods but that won't work in a envelope? Also it's a untested unique seed grown hybrid mother plant, hope it will be viable but you never know.
Nep seeds have come in a number of ways. Each pod (after it dries) in its own little envelope, each pods worth of seeds in their own little envelope (removed from pod skin), or the pods shipped in a bag.
The envelopes are more work, but can be sent in a standard envelope, so cheaper. Maybe wrapped in a paper towel and taped to the inside of the envelope.
Shipping them all in a bag is easier, but a little more due to now needing to ship them in a small box.
As to the untested nature. If there's enough, perhaps they could be dropped to Tier 1 to give more members the opportunity to test the viability. But they definitely wouldn't go higher than Tier 2 to increase exposure.
By optique
@ChefDean, in the mail

also dropped some Cleome seed pods in the box, wait will they crack open on there own and just throw them on the ground.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!