FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous_noob
I recently got some sarracenia flava var rubricorpora seeds from the seedbank, and they are not germinating. I had them in my fridge in a moist paper towel sealed in a plastic bag for six weeks. They are currently in a pot full of Sphagnum moss under a grow light, but are not germinating. The entire pot is in a plastic bag with some holes in it to prevent mold growth. These seeds have been in the pot for at least a month, and the only thing growing is grass and moss pods. What am I doing wrong and why aren't the seeds germinating?

(I don't know if this could affect the germination of the seeds, but after I took the seeds out of the paper towel, there was some mold and pink bacteria growing)
By ChefDean
Sometimes a month isn't enough time, especially for older seed. I requested some psittacina seeds as soon as they came in, eight week strat, sown and put outside, and it took six weeks for the first sprout, two weeks for the next, and a couple more for more sprouts. My temps varied from mid 30's at night to mid 80's during the day.
Did your seeds, by chance, freeze during the strat? If so, the stratification time stops.
If that's good, then maybe the light you have is insufficient. You wouldn't think it, but light does play a role in germination for many seeds. If your temps are staying above freezing, and getting into the 80's during the day, put them outside in the sun, in a tray that allows them to stay very wet. Not swimming, but much more wet than normal for an adult.
Most likely they just need more time and better conditions.
Shadowtski liked this
By carnivorous_noob
Thanks for all the help!
Hang wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:20 am Would this be it?
I have one green spot that looks similar to this, I'll have to wait and see if this is the first seed germinating
Hang liked this
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!