FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
This should be an interesting spring. Between hunting for a new home and helping my daughter with school, I wasn't able to tick my plants in like I normally do. Usually they are huddled together on the ground by the time the first freeze hits. Not this year. They were all still on the tables when we dropped below freezing 3 nights in a row. I finally got around to getting them settled and they were all frozen solid. I did move the more sensitive ones into the garage but I thing the damage may already be done. The planifolia doesn't look so hot and I hope the binatas make it. Oh well. You can't do everything.
By ChefDean
Well, keep us informed, we may have a way to help recover from some of your losses. Remember, I'm going to be thinning my herd next spring, you might be able to replace something or get you something new.
Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
Panman, I hate that happened to you and your plants. Hopefully they'll be more resilient than you think! If I can help in some way definitely let me know, you've definitely helped me in the past! You're absolutely right...we can only do so much. There's a little thing called "life" that we have to navigate through...sometimes it's smooth sailing...sometimes it's a typhoon and you just gotta tie yourself to the mast and hang on!!!
By DragonsEye
Fortunately, between the seed bank and the members here, recovering from any losses should be more doable and far less costly than it would otherwise be. Hope you don't lose anything you are extremely attached to.
Intheswamp, Panman liked this
By Panman
My favorites are sarrs and especially purps, so they should be okay. I had a bunch of flytrap cultivars in 2 inch pots and those are the ones I'm most concerned about.
By Lain
I only have 2 common flytrap cultivars so I doubt I can help but if your marston dragon went down the one you sent me survived the apocalypse known as my broken ankle so I can send you one in the spring if needed.
By Camden
I have a S. xVelvet I’ll be dividing in the spring. Happy to give you some divisions :)
Attachments:
2D63E9F8-072D-49D4-9E52-3E76C5C5F5A0.jpeg
2D63E9F8-072D-49D4-9E52-3E76C5C5F5A0.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1725 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1727 times
By Panman
After the surprise freeze before Thanksgiving, and the shredded tarp over the Christmas ice age, I fully expected to have lost much of my collection. I was very fortunate, and out of a 100+ plants, I only lost 5 or 6. Most of these were sundews. There were plenty of others that looked really rough, but they are growing well now. I have a couple of flytraps that the jury is still out on. The rhizomes are very healthy and the bud is green, but they refuse to wake up. It's like they are too traumatized to come out of hibernation. One of them is my Coquillage, which is disappointing. The others are plants that I have multiple pots of. All in all, I survived the winter of 22-23 pretty well.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Fantastic! And they've got a new home and a yard lion to protect them...man, they came out smelling like a...well, uh, hmmmm,...flytrap?...sundew?....sarrs?...nep?....meh, this just ain't working. :mrgreen: Glad you dodged the bullet (mostly), Panman! :D
Panman liked this
By Panman
Speaking of smelling, I was checking out my plants earlier and got a big ol' whiff of the fermenting bug brew in one of the pitchers.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Eeuuuwwww... Ooookaaaayyyyy, that's an olfactory treat I haven't had yet.... :shock:
By DragonsEye
Glad to hear that things fared far better than you were anticipating. 8-)
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!