FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Trevsod
I recently received some Cape Sundew seeds. I made a pot of Peat/perlite and like 1/10 sand. (Not too sure of the sand but it’s in a carnivorous plant mix that’s worked well for all my other plants)
I put some seeds in there and put a plastic bottle over it to raise humidity(I was told this would help, if not let me know and I will happily remove it). And I keep them on my windowsill. It’s only been around 4 days so I don’t expect anything to happen for at least a month. If i’m doing well or doing something wrong, i’m just asking for some help. Happy planting everyone and I hope you all have a good day!
The pot size is 2”. I don’t know if that’s an okay size to grow them to eventually move them out of. If it’s too small I can switch it over and sow new ones.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1115 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1115 times
By Intheswamp
That looks pretty good. As long as you see good condensation on the sides of the (Bai?) bottle I'd think it'll be humid enough in there. You might want to add a little food wrap over the mouth of the bottle if it seems to be drying out quickly (still punch a hole in it, though). In the future you might consider sifting out some of the woody stems of the peat, just enough to make maybe a 1/2" fine seed bed of just peat on top of the rest of the peat moss and perlite mix. I bet you will have a great germination rate, regardless. ;) Just make sure the setup doesn't get too hot and stays moist and I think you'll be fine.
Trevsod liked this
By Gary
Patience is needed. I had to wait nearly two months for freshly-harvested Cape seeds to finally sprout. I started germinating some c. madagascariensis back in the first week of March and still haven't seen any activity, but keeping my fingers crossed. Happy growing!
By Trevsod
Intheswamp wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:06 pm That looks pretty good. As long as you see good condensation on the sides of the (Bai?) bottle I'd think it'll be humid enough in there. You might want to add a little food wrap over the mouth of the bottle if it seems to be drying out quickly (still punch a hole in it, though). In the future you might consider sifting out some of the woody stems of the peat, just enough to make maybe a 1/2" fine seed bed of just peat on top of the rest of the peat moss and perlite mix. I bet you will have a great germination rate, regardless. ;) Just make sure the setup doesn't get too hot and stays moist and I think you'll be fine.
Seeing my first signs of life!
At this point I would take the bottle off and just keep it under a lot of light right?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 957 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 957 times
By Intheswamp
What Panman said. Have you had the top off of the bottle the entire time? I've been thinking of something similar. Tall, open-top dome...allows plenty of air exchange but also creates a nice humid environment right at soil level.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!