FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
When my S. purpurea produced a flower and the petals started falling, I pulled one and licked the nectar underneath it. And it was…. tasty! It tasted like syrup but it was a little bit spicy like if you added cinnamon! Then I gave one to my dad but he ate the whole petal… He said that it was nice at first but then it turned bitter. I remember tasting nectar from a VFT but it didn’t have that little bit of cinnamon taste. Have you ever tasted nectar from your Sarracenia flowers or even pitchers?
By Bluefire
No, but I tasted nectar from a cactus flower. The flower smelled bad. The nectar was actually okay. Tasted sweet. At one point I did consider licking the excess dripping down a Nepenthes pitcher, but I decided against it.
By Barlapipas 6
My sense of smell is really bad and I can’t understand many smells. Most times I can feel a difference in the atmosphere but I can’t tell if it’s bad or good, it’s kinda weird. So probably if a flower smells bad it won’t repulse me from tasting the nectar. I also can’t smell cat pee so maybe I can’t smell some Sarracenia flowers that they supposedly smell like that. At least I can smell all kinds of meat and I love their smell!
By albertoburrito
Bluefire wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:03 pm At one point I did consider licking the excess dripping down a Nepenthes pitcher, but I decided against it.
I've tried nepenthes ventrata nectar, and its really sweet! You should try it if the nectar is clean.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!