FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nightsnow
Hello,
I’m concerned about my Venus flytrap. I’m new to this. My Venus Flytrap has started growing flowers, and lately, it has turned black/brownish, including the stalk. I’m unsure if I should cut it off or leave it alone. It has plenty of water and sunlight. It has started to grow new flytraps. Should I cut it off? Including the stalk?

I have to re-pot two of my Venus flytrap because I have discovered mold on the flytrap and roots. I'm unsure if that the cause of the issues of the stalk and flower to turn black/brownish. I did this two days ago.
The first Venus Flytrap
91480F5E-92A7-4359-860A-0A3A94469F0A.jpeg
91480F5E-92A7-4359-860A-0A3A94469F0A.jpeg (612.55 KiB) Viewed 818 times
FD6AF8A9-2D77-4CC8-940F-1A0A4F1D69C0.jpeg
FD6AF8A9-2D77-4CC8-940F-1A0A4F1D69C0.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 818 times

The second Venus flytrap had a problem where it wasn’t getting sunlight; I have resolved the issue. That issues was on February, someone informed me to not cut the stalk because it was get energy for it. Also was wonder if I should cut stalk too? Just let it be, that only Venus flytrap that haven’t grow flower but it seem that grow new leave and Venus flytrap I believe, I’m unsure.

Just mins ago, I was take a photo of my second Venus flytrap and accidentally drop it ;-; and the stalk that I was talking about have broke…… I’m so mad of myself. But just in case in future of advanced if it happens again.
Here is the the second Venus flytrap
B1BED457-C307-4DA3-93FE-69E986B38505.jpeg
B1BED457-C307-4DA3-93FE-69E986B38505.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 818 times
Also Is there a way to improve the second Venus Flytrap?
By Intheswamp
The flowers do not last a long time. The flowers die and turn brown...seeds form where the flower grew. The seeds are black. Your flower stalks actually look healthy to me...but they're taking energy away from the main plant.

Flower stalks and flower blooms require a lot of plant energy to grow which can hurt the plant. If a person does not want the flowers or seeds then it is good to cut the flower stalks off down close to the base of the plant soon after the flower stalks start growing. If you are not interested in flowers or seeds I would go ahead and snip the stalks off.

It may be too late for the broken flower stalk, but sometimes you can cut the flower stalks into one to one-and-a-half inch sections and stick them into the growing mix 2/3's of their length and they will eventually start baby plants. Older stalks usually do not work well, but it's worth a shot. Usually the younger flower stalks are what is used for this.

Btw, what kind of water, grow mix, and lighting are you using? Your location info would be helpful, too.

Best wishes.
Nightsnow liked this
By Intheswamp
You inspired me to read a bit further regarding flower stalks. It appears that once they get as large as the stalks on your plant that they have probably already done what damage they will do in regards to energy depletion of the plant and the plant will indeed begin to draw nutrients back out of the stalk. I had read this in regards to dieing flytrap leaves but did not know this about flower stalks. To conserve the energy the stalks have to be cut when short...the two inch height range. I hope I'm not confusing you and my apologies if I am.
Nightsnow liked this
By Nightsnow
I use distilled water per gallon, and living in Long Island. The type of soil I’m using is carnivorous pot mix soil and Sphagnum Moss. Both of my Venus flytraps are near the window. I’m not interested in collecting flowers seed, but I was curious about how flowers look.

Thank you so much; no, you have not confused me. I don’t know much about stalking and flowers, so I appreciate it. But what if it is too late to cut the stalk?
By Intheswamp
Well, I can't see the plant associated with the blooms/buds. If the plant looks fairly healthy then it seems you could leave the stalk and let the plant absorb some of it's nutrients back to the main plant. This is all from what I've read, so no actual experience. For me, I let my few little typical flytraps grow flower stalks this year...and they look really, really crappy. I snipped all the flower stalks the other day and I believe the plants are beginning to look a tiny bit better. Just my experience. I actually had one stalk with blooms on it. I cut that flower stalk into sections and stuck them in the live sphagnum moss. I still had the short "blossom end" so I got it and pressed the short stub of a stalk it still had down into the moss with the flower petals resting on the moss. Two to three days later that bloom still looks good! I figured it'd be all wilted by now.
Nightsnow liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!