FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
There are VFTs that are definitely green and others that are definitely red. But how much red do green ones need to have to be considered red ones?
By ChefDean
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:10 pm There are VFTs that are definitely green and others that are definitely red. But how much red do green ones need to have to be considered red ones?
When the majority of the plant is red all the time, then it can be called a red flytrap. If it's green at first, but turns red as it ages, then maybe a red phase, but not a red flytrap.
By VFTnPups
I would consider any vft that is completely red (inner and outer traps, petioles, leaf blades, etc.) during the growing season a red flytrap. Red flytraps will also color up completely purple almost black under lights. There are a lot of factors that can affect coloring, eg. intense summer heat and lack of light, etc. My red cultivars will be almost completely green when coming out of dormancy. There are some cultivars that get very red like SD Draco, that aren’t true red flytraps. I guess the real answer is familiarity with the cultivar or specific plant and their consistent coloring display during the growing season.
Attachments:
Red Microteeth under lights
Red Microteeth under lights
20230223_164008_Original.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 872 times
FTS Maroon Monster in the upper right corner
FTS Maroon Monster in the upper right corner
IMG_20220305_124457_Original.jpeg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 872 times
ChefDean liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!