FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Marian
Hello! I am new to this forum. I have cared for a Venus fly trap for about 3 years so I decided to try other carnivorous plants.

A few months ago I bought 2 Mexican pinguiculas, then about a week or so later, they started turning brown and almost like translucent. I assumed it was my own fault as I think I overwatered them. Finally they died.

I waited and decided to try again.
A week ago, I received 3 new pings. Upon arrival, I inspected the roots, everything looked fine however the one that is now struggling came with some soil attached to the roots. I decided it was probably better to not mess with it trying to remove the soil to inspect better and proceeded to place it in their container.

I potted them in the soil provided by the seller with some long fiber spaghnum moss in the bottom for water retention during summer ( we have very dry summer here in California). I have kept them in my kitchen windowsill where they get indirect light all day, and humidity every time we use the hot water. The window is a little drafty but we haven’t had cold wind. The soil was moistened on the day I planted them a week ago, and bottom watered again just a few days ago. Both times I used only distilled water. However I was very sad noticing today that my favorite, a cyclosecta, is looking brown and mushy like the ones that previously died. The other 2 ones from this batch seem to be doing fine.
I will attach a picture of the ping soon after receiving it, and a picture of how it looks now. I don’t know what I am doing wrong :( Any advice will be appreciated!
46C7F364-F4FB-4C8E-BB56-864F1DB8A524.jpeg
46C7F364-F4FB-4C8E-BB56-864F1DB8A524.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1585 times
3A32AC3E-836E-48A3-9416-01310F6BA064.jpeg
3A32AC3E-836E-48A3-9416-01310F6BA064.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1585 times
By Marian
It was indoors, on a windowsill. Sadly the plant died but I still want to have pings, I just seem to always kill them :(
will try a different soil next time. Thank you!
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!