FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Bonez
Hello everyone, this is my first time experiencing my plants coming out of dormancy and I'm wondering just that. When should I feed them? I'd think trying to feed them as soon as I notice them waking up might make them expend too much energy at once. But maybe I am wrong
By Bonez
ChefDean wrote:Flytraps don't need to eat as long as they have good, direct sunlight. However, put them outside and they'll catch their own prey when they're ready.
Flytraps don't need food whatsoever? So feeding them just boosts growth?
By Bonez
Yes, mine are outside too so I probably need not worry about it, but now I'm interested in the claim that vfts do not need to eat, when they grow in nutrient deficient medium 🤔 Could one grow a vft to adulthood without it ever catching and digesting food?
By optique
yeah they are plants and use photosynthesis to make energy. Some of the odd ball fly traps cant catch bugs at all. I am sure no food at all will mean slower growth.

In a nut shell a VFT's feeding cycle takes a lot of energy and if its unhealthy and/or energy starved from bad lighting its a downward spiral. Same thing with its flowering cycle.
By ChefDean
^^^^This.
All a plant needs is water and sufficient light. Each species of plants light requirement is different, but all plants make their own food through photosynthesis. Them being in a nutrient poor media and low mineral water has prompted their evolution to need more and direct sunlight to maximize photosynthesis.
steve booth liked this
By tommyr
Bonez wrote: ↑Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:38 pm Yes, mine are outside too so I probably need not worry about it, but now I'm interested in the claim that vfts do not need to eat, when they grow in nutrient deficient medium 🤔 Could one grow a vft to adulthood without it ever catching and digesting food?
If you grow them properly outdoors there is no need to feed them at all. No need to "boost" them either.
steve booth liked this
Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

Unkown sarracenia

Although I do not know what they are, I too would […]

Maybe find a way to measure out 1/16 of a teaspo[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!