FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
One of my new Sarrs (unknown sp.) put up a flower stalk this spring. It's looked like this for about 2 weeks, and I'm wondering if this bud is a dud. This is my first experience with Sarr flowers , so I don't know how long it takes for the flower to open. Any insights? Thanks!
Attachments:
0425231646.jpg
0425231646.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 963 times
By ChefDean
Lots of factors will influence it. Age of the plant, size of the stalk, photoperiod, temperature, etc. It'll open when it's ready.
I've had flowers go from the nub making an appearance to bloom in a week, and others take a couple months. Patience.
Gary liked this
By Gary
Interesting. This particular Sarr has also sprouted some immature pitchers and I'm hoping that the flower will help with identifying it.
By ChefDean
Probably not, unless it's a Tarnok. The flower will have the same shape as the next one. Color may be an indicator, but if it's a cross then it'll show the dominant parents coloration. Some smell different, but, again, if it's a cross then the dominant one may win out in a smell contest. Especially if it's flava.
The best indicator of species is usually pitcher shape, many times hood shape. Even then it's a guessing game as there's no way to be sure it's "A", unless you know what it is, you may have to be happy with a No ID.
By Intheswamp
I had a single flower to bloom on one of my mystery pitchers from California Carnivores. I agree that going by smell can be difficult. Going by the aroma, I googled and researched everywhere trying to find a variety or cultivar that was named S. gallus gallus domesticus, but never could find one. :mrgreen:
By Panman
I have a flower that never opened completely. It happened. To me all of the yellow sarr flowers look alike. The alata flowers, however, have a lovely smell. Flava, on the other hand, smell like cat pee.
By Gary
This Sarr is one of two that I got from CalCarn last year at the rhizome sale. No pedigree. A couple of the immature pitchers have opened, and the lids look a bit like a s. minor. But again, these are immature pitchers and may not indicate the species.
By Barlapipas 6
I had 2 kinds of S. purpurea. The old one died from dehydration and the other one is the current one. I watched both of them produce their first flower. The older one took a month or a bit more but the flower was smaller and shorter. The current one took 1 and half months but the flower was bigger. So be patient.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!