FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hey guys, so lately I have been watching one of my Sarracenia's and it just seems like it isn't doing that good. To be honest I am truly a flytrap guy haha and put all of my time in them but I do have a few sarracenia's and would like to at least keep them healthy because they are really cool plants and I enjoy them.

This plant I had just recently repotted ( I believe in February) and it hadn't been repotted in like 4 years lol it was literally breaking through the pot! However ever since I have repotted it just seems like its just not doing the best. I did watch a video on how to repot but this plant was kind of a pain because there was a ton of divisions and it was hard to keep everything level and above ground so I'm wondering if part of the problem is that some of it is buried too low?

I know that the peat moss, perlite, and water is fine so there should be no problems there. I noticed one of the pitchers is really soft to the touch while the others feel more firm. It seems like the plant did better before I repotted it haha.. but anyways was hoping that some of you with a lot more experience growing sarracenia's could possibly give me some tips. Any tips would really be appreciated! I will attach a few pictures. Thanks!
Attachments:
IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3028.JPG (8 MiB) Viewed 817 times
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG (8.9 MiB) Viewed 817 times
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG (6.9 MiB) Viewed 817 times
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG (9.53 MiB) Viewed 817 times
By frankgrimes087
MikeB wrote:I think you planted it a bit too low. The crowns should be exposed to air, not just under the soil surface.
Thanks for the reply appreciate it! I kind of figured I might of repotted it too low.. It was a pain to repot because some spots of the plant seemed to be too low while other parts were higher, but I will repot it again and just raise everything as much as I can.
By MikeB
frankgrimes087 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:36 am It was a pain to repot because some spots of the plant seemed to be too low while other parts were higher,
I have some plants like that. No matter what I do, some crowns will be just below the soil level. If you have to leave the top quarter of the rhizome exposed, so be it (you can always put some sphagnum moss over the rhizome if necessary). My 'Lunchbox' cultivar has a piece of rhizome sticking up 2 inches / 5 centimeters in the air, with 3 crowns on its sides. Never seen a Sarracenia do that before, but this plant seems to be happy with it.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
MikeB wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 am
frankgrimes087 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:36 am It was a pain to repot because some spots of the plant seemed to be too low while other parts were higher,
I have some plants like that. No matter what I do, some crowns will be just below the soil level. If you have to leave the top quarter of the rhizome exposed, so be it (you can always put some sphagnum moss over the rhizome if necessary). My 'Lunchbox' cultivar has a piece of rhizome sticking up 2 inches / 5 centimeters in the air, with 3 crowns on its sides. Never seen a Sarracenia do that before, but this plant seems to be happy with it.
Ok for sure, thanks for the info it is much appreciated! I'm glad I know what to do now just in case it happens again!
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!