FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By PlantMom84
Hello beautiful people! I have a question. Is it safe to cut off dead leaves from a Flytrap? Mine has a few dead leaves and I have been afraid of killing it. TIA ❤️
By optique
you can removed dead stuff no issues. Try giving it a gentle tug if its fully dried up it will come off ez.
By Barlapipas 6
As optique said you can pull off the black leaves if they don’t need a lot of force to be pulled. But it’s kinda risky because sometimes you can pull off living rhizome parts and damage the plant. I did this with my old VFTs and I didn’t care if the dead leaves had living rhizome parts. Then on a rainy day microbes from the rain got into the open wound of the rhizome and one plant rotted. So there are 2 options. Cut off only the black parts with clean scissors or wait a month after the leaf got black and try to pull it. If you leave the dead leaves usually nothing bad will happen to the plant but if there are a lot they can block some sunlight, be a hiding spot for pests and sometimes they can mold if there is a lot of humidity and wet soil with stagnant air. I personally cut off only the traps and then wait a month. After that I pull off the remaining leaves.
By Panman
When I trim back the plants, and I do that rarely, I only take off the black parts. The plant will continue to photosynthesize with green parts and will reabsorb some of the nutrients from yellow parts.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!