FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
This gecko spends a lot of time licking the peristomes of my Nepenthes mirabis, very cute to watch from a distance, hard to photograph because he's a wary little guy.
Attachments:
gecko_licking_nep_mir_peristome_plantnerdjules.jpg
gecko_licking_nep_mir_peristome_plantnerdjules.jpg (893.22 KiB) Viewed 971 times
By Intheswamp
^^^ What Chef said. I can see that title reversed. :o But, geckos are surefooted little critters. I'd never seen any until my old buddy told me he had them at his house...sure enough, they hide under the trim work under the edge of the porch and overhangs. We only see them around sundown and during the night, though. They stay hidden during the day...maybe because of the large skinks and anoles that are hunting during the day (geckos are smaller).
By Intheswamp
Our internet is *slow* and I just had the image to come up. How big is that gecko? The ones at my buddy's house are probably no larger than a couple of inches/5cm. They also don't have the intricate markings that yours has...the ones here are pale gray, reminding me of little "ghost lizards" and hard to spot against white trim/ceiling.
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:24 pm We only see them around sundown and during the night, though. They stay hidden during the day...
Most gecko species are nocturnal or crepuscular (active at dusk or dawn). :ugeek:
By plantnerdjules
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:28 pm How big is that gecko? The ones at my buddy's house are probably no larger than a couple of inches/5cm. They also don't have the intricate markings that yours has...the ones here are pale gray, reminding me of little "ghost lizards" and hard to spot against white trim/ceiling.
If he stretched out straight, he'd be about 3 inches/7.5cm. That's about middling size compared to other geckos around here. We have lots! In urban areas they're mostly Asian House Geckos and tend to be plain grey or beige when they stay indoors but can put on camo patterns outdoors. The one on my Nep has a fancier pattern than others I've seen. Just hoping he might be a native species but unlikely because they've been pushed out by the Asian ones (accidentally introduced). I'll try to get a close look at him.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!