FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aquis31
I wanted to know what species this is, thanks guys. ;)
Attachments:
20230329_070248.jpg
20230329_070248.jpg (4.6 MiB) Viewed 1597 times
By Nepenthes0260
Aquis31 wrote:I wanted to know what species this is, thanks guys. ;)
Drosera tokaiensis, a close relative of spatulata.
By Aquis31
I must say they came from the donation bank like Spat. Var. Loureiroi, on the PlantNet app it said it was Spatulata Labill, and some friends said it was Tokaiensis, now I'm not sure what it is exactly. :roll:
By Intheswamp
Aquis31 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:52 pm I must say they came from the donation bank like Spat. Var. Loureiroi, on the PlantNet app it said it was Spatulata Labill, and some friends said it was Tokaiensis, now I'm not sure what it is exactly. :roll:
I would listen to Nepenthes0260, who is a great source for sundew info. :)
Aquis31 liked this
By evenwind
A bit of history here. The original "Loureiroi" came from a seller called "Orchidbox" on Etsy. The plants arrived mostly dead but came back after awhile. I'm not sure how long it actually was, it could have been a couple of months. Anyhow, at that point, I was just glad to see them growing and didn't question the ID. Eventually, they put out flowers and I sent the seeds to the Bank. Aquis31 grew some of the seeds and contacted me about the likelihood of their being mis-identified. At that point, we were sure that they weren't actually loureiroi (It's amazing how little info and pics are available on the interweb!) and were ready to settle on tokaiensis but keeping an open mind. Meanwhile, I'd contacted Orchidbox and got this response:
Hi! You're right! We think they might have been planted close together and they could've gotten mixed with something else. It's possible that it could be mixed with Drosera spatulata Hong Kong. If that's the case, we are so sorry about the mix up. Thank you for asking us though!

Since this has all come up again, I've re-checked the possibility that Orchidbox was (eventually!) correct and the plants were actually Spat Hong Kong.
Some pics:

Spat Macau pic from ICPS: (BTW, Macao is across the Pearl River Delta from Hong Kong and the plants are all supposed the be the same.)
D_spatulata_Macau_FC.jpg
D_spatulata_Macau_FC.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Since we all know that these plants will look different under different growing conditions, here's 3 different plants in my collection.

This one is Colane, Macao from Shadowski:
colane-macao.JPG
colane-macao.JPG (172.54 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Pearl River Delta from the ICPS Seed Bank
pearl river delta.JPG
pearl river delta.JPG (152.26 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
The Loureiroi seed from Orchidbox plants (same seeds as Aquis31):
my loureiroi.JPG
my loureiroi.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1457 times
And just for fun, a Tokaiensis from the web:
D_tokaiensis.jpg
D_tokaiensis.jpg (157.36 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Aquis31 pic from the top of the thread:
aquis31a.jpg
aquis31a.jpg (235.73 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
You'll see that they all have rounded lamina. Comparing all these pics, I'm wondering if Aquis31's plant (and my seeds) is actually tokaiensis or just maybe Spat Hong Kong (or maybe even something else)?
Aquis31 liked this
By evenwind
Aquis31 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:38 pm I would prefer it to be Loureiroi, but I also think it is Tokaiensis.
I agree that it's not Loureiroi. I'm still undecided whether it's Tokaiensis or Spat Hong Kong/Macao. All have rounded lamina, normally the easiest way of telling Toks from Spats. I'm wondering if everyone who identified the plant as a Tok is aware of that. I'm leaning toward Spat Hong Kong because of two things: The grower said that if wasn't a true Loureiroi then it might be a Spat Hong Kong. He could just as easily said Tokaiensis but he didn't. And secondly, I don't (knowingly) grow any Toks that could have mixed into the seed source pot.

If it adds to the clarity (or confusion), this is the pot that is the source of all the "Loureiroi" seeds.
pot.jpg
pot.jpg (234.11 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
wcrosman, Aquis31 liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!