FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By AhmtBgraa
Hello everyone. I had a spider mite problem on a few of my plants. For now, there doesn't seem to be a problem. But when I looked at the "Spider" species, I saw small, black insects. I was undecided about whether there was a spider mite or not. That's why I wanted to consult you. I also see spots in some areas. Are these spider mite damage or the plant's own spots? I'm also leaving a video link so you can see it better. Thanks in advance.

Video= https://youtu.be/nuCVH1yZrv8
Attachments:
Spider.jpeg
Spider.jpeg (632.81 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Spider Spots.jpeg
Spider Spots.jpeg (471.39 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Spider Spots (2).jpeg
Spider Spots (2).jpeg (526.58 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Spider (4).jpeg
Spider (4).jpeg (553.11 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Spider (3).jpeg
Spider (3).jpeg (674.04 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Spider (2).jpeg
Spider (2).jpeg (631.01 KiB) Viewed 919 times
B52 Spots.jpeg
B52 Spots.jpeg (483.26 KiB) Viewed 919 times
By Barlapipas 6
I think that the many small dots are from the plant. However I think I can see legs on the bigger shiny dots and they look like mites. You previously submerged your plant right? For me the submerging worked but today I saw a small aphid on my VFTs. If they are for real spider mites you might want to use miticides because the submerging method didn’t work. But most miticides are very toxic and you have to use them outside. Also mites can build resistance if the doses are too low.
AhmtBgraa liked this
By AhmtBgraa
@Barlapipas 6, I have never immersed this plant in water before. Because there were no spider mites. Due to its structure, it does not seem possible to immerse it in water because of its long and steep traps. So I washed it with water cannons. They are larger than spider mites I saw before and resemble balls in shape. In some photos I can also see their antennae. So I likened it to an aphid. For now, I will try to wash it with water cannons. If it doesn't work, I'll try a chemical drug. If this is an aphid, how to fight it?
By Barlapipas 6
I had an aphid infection only once. And they were only on my S.purpurea. I cut the deformed pitcher with the most aphids and then threw it away. After that I hunted down and killed by hand any remaining aphids that were hiding. I somehow killed all of them. But the plant didn’t have many leaves back then and there were not many hiding spots as now so I was lucky. I would personally submerge it for a few days in a bucket with water but if you don’t have enough water then kill them by hand. If you don’t have enough time to do it then use insecticides. You can use been oil which is natural but it stinks and I heard that many people didn’t have success with it. It is a contact insecticide and you have to spray it everywhere on the plant. It lasts for a day I think and then you have to apply again. I don’t know the recommended ratio. Also you don’t want the plants to be in the sun because they will burn with the berm oil. You have to put them in the shade. If you don’t want to use been oil there are insecticides with chemicals that are toxic but more effective than been oil. There are natural predators too but they may be hard to find or the plants can eat them if they are big.
AhmtBgraa liked this
By AhmtBgraa
@Barlapipas 6, First of all, thank you for all your answers. Although I am still not sure what I am facing, I think that the washing process will give a positive result. In the morning I washed it with water cannon. And at regular intervals I spray water with water. I also killed a few insects that I saw, as you mentioned. Then I cleaned the top and bottom of the leaves with cotton. I also cut a few dead leaves and cleaned them up. The fact that they had a small number of traps was also an advantage for me. I'm going to add a photo for you to understand what the flycatcher looks like. Finally, I would like to note that these insects come out after the light turns off. That surprised me.
Attachments:
VFT SPİDER.jpeg
VFT SPİDER.jpeg (605.87 KiB) Viewed 854 times
By Gary
A few months back I got white spider mites on a Cape. I had to fully submerge the plant in distilled water for about four days to eliminate them. The sundew was upset about it for about a month but is now happy and flowering. Haven't seen any mites since then.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!