FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By wcrosman
Made my first order from Matt the other day. It just arrived. Looks alive and awesome.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
How are you planning on using it? Top dressing? Propagation?
Got a photo? Everybody loves photos!!! :mrgreen:
Andrew42x89 liked this
By Intheswamp
Are you going to use a substrate for it? I tried starting some last year using peat moss as a substrate. I think the humic acid was too much for it as it died out on me. I acquired some more sphagnum moss later and simply started it in a plastic container with rainwater in the bottom...it did much better and is still growing.
By Intheswamp
Yes, I've watched that video before and considered trying growing it that way. But, before I tried it I got some live moss that I simply put in a plastic container and poured some rainwater in it to hold for a few days until I could get to it. Well, it rained and flooded the container...I gently poured most of the water out. And, I still didn't get to moving it to a layered environment. Then I started noticing something...it was growing. So, since then I've just let it grow with an inch or so of water in the bottom of the container.

I think if I was going to do the layering method, as is in the video, I'd leave the peat moss out. Sphagnum moss doesn't have roots so it doesn't need anything to "root" into, just something to draw water to it...the dried sphagnum moss should work fine by itself...and the dried sphagnum moss doesn't have as big of problem with humic acid as what peat moss has. Just my thoughts. Apparently the guy in the video has a method that works for him. Best wishes!
wcrosman liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!