FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By wcrosman
I just received my second order of it. I used it previously on my vft with no issues. I didn’t check the tds at that time. I got my second order a couple of days ago and repotted my sundew. I initially rinsed it before potting but didn’t check the tds when done.

After repotting I thought I would check the tds after it flowed thru the media and out the pot. The tds was well over 200.

I have repeatedly poured water thru the media and it is down to about 80 ppm.

I have just emailed perfect plants about this, but am wondering if anyone here knows why this would be the case. Will it hurt my sundew?

Thanks.
Attachments:
CAC2E617-8D54-42B0-8850-FA9AC48AC79C.jpeg
CAC2E617-8D54-42B0-8850-FA9AC48AC79C.jpeg (240.13 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
By NightRaider
I used a couple bags of it a few years ago, but I didn't have a tds meter at that time so I have no idea what the tds of it was. I never noticed any particular issues with the plants potted in it though, but I have no idea which ones were (and honestly may still be) potted in it at this point. That said, their stuff now may not necessarily be the same as it was back then, so I'd still rinse and flush it thoroughly any other time you use it just to be safe. If you're able to get it to 80 tds, that should be safe enough in most cases IME.
Camden liked this
By wcrosman
Their customer service was quick to respond but not at all helpful or knowledgeable.

“ This is the first time I'm hearing of tds (total dissolved solids) and it's very interesting, so besides doing my own research I spoke with the manager and one of the thoughts that we processed is that perhaps the water that you are using should be tested first? if you are collecting it from the drainage holes. However, reading through your message again you stated that you used water that had no TDS in it, so we are not sure what it could be since our ingredient list is very simple for this particular soil. ”

Told them their response was not at all helpful and I would be buying other products in the future.
By wcrosman
So just to ensure my experience is correct I took about a quart of my new bag of perfect plants and a quart of my old bag hydrated each an then ran over a gallon of 0 tds water through each. I did about a quart at a time. The initial quart drainage from each was 138 ppm for new bag, 28 ppm for old bag. After entire gallon poured through each the new bag got down to 28 ppm and the old bag 2 ppm.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!