FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
I have a vft that I have had for about 2 weeks from pp, I use a SANSI grow bulb 36w and give 16hrs of light a day, top water but I noticed that a leaf that was about to open turned yellow and is now turning black, existing growth is still green however, what is the cause for this? Did k burn it from having the grow light a couple inches away?
Attachments:
B03AD9CE-2CDC-4BCE-82C7-BFC825DDAF0D.jpeg
B03AD9CE-2CDC-4BCE-82C7-BFC825DDAF0D.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1720 times
By Intheswamp
I think I've already talked about the height of your light. I would raise the light up more. If you slip your hand beneath the light at about plant height, how does it feel to you in regards to temperature? Is the sphagnum moss drying out on top? If it is drying out, how fast does it take to dry? I'm seeing some reddening on the petiole of one of the large leafs that looks possibly like sunburn. Figure out a way to raise the light.
By BxndiTSold
It feels warm to the touch, i tried to raise it up a little but it’s hard because the bulb weighs down the adjustment arm, so every time I try to move it up it just goes back down, and it takes about 2 days to try being on for 16 hrs, and tbays wahy that red is? Good to know
By Intheswamp
Maybe you need to put the plants on the floor and clamp the light to the edge of the table or a chair, at least until you can get some type of support for the light. If the plants end up too far from the light while on the floor stick some books beneath them to raise them towards the light. I think that if you leave the light as close as it is to the plants that the plants aren't going to do well.
By BxndiTSold
I also agree, any ideas as to what I could to to support the light? I’ll get a picture, so if I have a 36w 400w equivalent grow bulb, how far should it be from those pots? I’ll attempt to put it on the floor too
By Intheswamp
To solve the weight problem causing the lamps to lower themselves you need to add a brace of some kind to hold the sections of the lampstand in place and keep them from lowering. The red rectangle could be a piece of wood, a pipe, a ruler, most anything rigid. The short blue lines are tape, string, cord, wire, whatever you need to attach the brace to the sections of the lampstand. Spread the section out to the angle that creates the height that you want the bulb at, attach the brace, and the lamp shouldn't lower itself onto the plants anymore. Btw, I think you've reached your limit on crying smilies. ;) Put a smile on your face, this ain't the end of the world!!! :D
Attachments:
lamps.jpg
lamps.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
By BxndiTSold
Im smiling im just trying to do this right this time, my situation isn’t exactly ideal, id love to just put them outside but I live in an apartment sadly, for right now anways, :) CPS have been something I have always found interesting and fun to grow and I used to have a hugeeeeee nepenthes pitcher plant when I was younger, the flytraps is what i alwyas seemed to get wrong, but I’m really trying to do it right! I know it not hard it just requires some trial and error, and in gonan look for something to make a brace for that lamp stand because then practically all the problems I have are solved:)
By Intheswamp
You're getting it together. Just hang in there with it. Well, the brace my fix the problem with the lamps but there'll be other issues to deal with. Just remember, this for enjoyment. If it gets to being too stressful it ain't worth it. Some concern and worry is natural, but the bulk of the time has got to be enjoyable. ;) I can't remember, do you have your flytraps planted in sphagnum moss and perlite or in a peat/perlite mix?
By BxndiTSold
The 2 in the ornage pots are in peat mix, the one in the black square is from PP and is in LFSM!and yes I know it’s for enjoyment and I know there will be otehr issues but im up for the challenge!
By BxndiTSold
Here’s what I have going on light wise rn till I can figure out some other way to replicate this, it should be getting them more then enough light though right?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 1617 times

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!