FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
Hey so im kinda new to growing vfts but im sorta getting the hang of it? I had 3 b52 VFTS that I grew indoors last summer and they thrived until aboht august, all the sudden all the traps on the plant closed and stayed closed, I felt maybe it was crown rot or pests? Because what would trigger that, but anyways the conclusion I came too was that the medium was too wet and b52 succumb to disease easier then other cultivars, but my question is, for watering with the tray method, when do I know to fill it up with water and about how much water do I fill it with? And what’s too much? And what’s too little, i just don’t wanna underwater or overwater my flytraps
By Panman
Flytraps have roots about 5 or 6 inches long and they do not like their roots sitting in water all of the time. So, if you are watering with the tray method, water enough to keep the plant wet without letting the roots sit below the water line. Generally speaking, I allow the tray to dry out before watering again.
By BxndiTSold
Okay that’s what I been doing pretty much too but it’s okay if the medium is still wet when I fill the tray right? Some people say to let the top of the medium dry out and then some say not to but they like it moist in my experience anyways
By Intheswamp
BxndiTSold wrote:Okay that’s what I been doing pretty much too but it’s okay if the medium is still wet when I fill the tray right? Some people say to let the top of the medium dry out and then some say not to but they like it moist in my experience anyways
Panman's been growing CPs for a while, he won't lean you wrong.

The line between moist and wet seems to be a really fuzzy one for me to determine but there is a big difference. "Wet", to me, would be being able to squeeze some growing medium in my hand and for water to drip out fairly freely. "Moist", to me, would be squeezing a handful and very little water dripping out of the medium. Naturally, this is kind of hard to do when you have a plant growing in the pot with the medium.

I usually tray water most of my plants but fairly regularly top water to pull oxygen down into the grow medium and flush out any minerals or toxins that might have built up. When I top water I let the plant sit for a while afterwards and then dump the drain water...if I want to leave the plant sitting in some water I add fresh water to the tray.

As for "when" to water, I'm like Panman (probably took his advice! ;) ) and let the tray dry out. But, I don't instantly water when I see the tray dry (if it contains flytraps). I'll wait one or more days and check the surface for dampness. Once I don't feel dampness on the top dressing (I usually use LFSM for the top dressing) I lift the pot to see if it "feels heavy", denoting it still has plenty of moisture in it and doesn't need watering. Again, as Panman mentioned, flytraps have long roots and don't like their roots to be submerged for extended periods. I'm heard it said "they just like to dip their toes in the water". Even once the tray has dried it seems the growing medium will still be holding a good bit of moisture. Many times when I'm watering my plants I'll water my sundews and pass on by the flytraps...most of the sundews love to swim in the water, but the flytraps don't.

The fuzzy line gets to the spot where the growing medium goes from moist to...dry. That's where the lifting and touching gets to be important. Don't let flytraps dry out completely...if you lift the pot and it seems like there's no resistance, no weight, then put the water to it...it's gotten too dry. It's not rocket science, but it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Maybe take a pot of the size your pots are growing in, fill with the same grow mix, wet it good and then take it out and squeeze the water out of it...replace into the pot and feel its weight. That should be a nice and moist pot of grow mix. Just a bit of water in the tray of a pot weighing about the same and it should be set up nicely for several days in regards to watering.

Having said all of that, I'm a rank newbie just trying to figure out things, too. So take my ideas with a chunk of salt. The last thing I'll say is that a flytrap being a touch too wet is better than it being a touch too dry...they gotta have water. Best wishes.
By Panman
@Intheswamp has some good advice. Letting the top dry until it is damp is correct. I use 5.5 inch tall pots and they sit in 1/2 inch of water when I fill the tray. By the time the tray has been dry for a day, the top is no longer, just damp. I am growing them outdoors in Atlanta's heat, humidity, and ferocious sun. In different conditions you need to adjust. But if you don't let them dry out and don't keep them constantly soggy, you will be fine.
Dan V liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!