FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous_noob
This is related to my post asking whether I should give my plant a period of dormancy because I bought it in the middle of the winter and it wasn't showing any signs of dormancy. TLDR: I didn't give it the period of dormancy. Now I think the plant is showing signs of going into a dormant phase due to a few reasons. First, many of the traps are dying and other traps are either not closing or very slow to respond to touches on their trigger hairs. Next, the VFT seems to be growing slower than it was earlier. A reason I do not think it is dying is because I repotted it recently, and it seems to have a healthy rhizome. I'll add pictures of the rhizome and the plant itself in a few minutes. Is it possible for my VFT to go dormant when most plants are ending their dormancy?
By Gary
I think the plant is reacting to being repotted. Sundews are well-known to pout after a repot, sometimes for up to a month. I waited until about a month ago to repot my VFTs, they were still in dormancy and they're being very slow to recover.
By carnivorous_noob
Another thing I've noticed is that the new traps growing are a lot smaller than the previous ones. If the plant is reacting to repotting, does that mean it will just need time to recover?
Attachments:
VFT now
VFT now
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 720 times
Plant rhizome
Plant rhizome
9E423110-F498-40E7-A8C6-6DAABEF1D671.jpeg (537.62 KiB) Viewed 720 times
By BxndiTSold
Im no expert but in my experience they go through reporting shock, this can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a month, i just recently reported some and they looked all but black since they were rescues, a couple weeks go by and they started to look good as new, just give it time, make sure it’s getting the optimal ammount of light and water, thats the best advice I can give coming from another newbie anyways🤣
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!