FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lain
Nikson wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:13 am Do you know if it matters if the leaves are facing up or down? I always see instructions that are like "keep the tentacles facing up" but a lot of my leaves flip over after I dunk them into the water lol
I've never had issues with it budding regardless of whether it's flipped over or not in water. Somehow they always situate themselves "correctly" after budding.
Nikson liked this
By Lain
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:10 am Thats the leaf rotting. Possibly from unclean water, or bacteria on the leaf. Bacteria or mold on the leaf could come from old food.
I mean it sounds about right that it's rotting but I don't get how since like I said it's sterile tubes and distilled water. Plants have never been outdoors and they never caught bugs or otherwise been fed.
By Nikson
Intheswamp wrote:Well, did you get some plants out of this attempt? It's been a month. :D
Yes I did! All three grew into actual plants and didn't die, they're really big now, I'm so happy! :D

I was afraid I'd accidentally kill them again since my cape sundew propogation attempt didn't work after I moved it to media, but the spatulata turned out absolutely fine!

Intheswamp, Ewreck liked this
By Nikson
thepitchergrower wrote:I'm pretty sure your spats are actually tokaiensis... They look like toks to me.
Oh man, are you sure? They were sold to me as spatulata! I honestly have no idea what the difference is between the two physically, I googled it and they look the same mostly haha.

Here's the mother plant where I took the leaves off of:

By Sharase Hall
Aim to provide your sundews with around 12-14 hours of light per day, and make sure the light source is placed at an appropriate distance from the plants. You may need to adjust the distance based on the intensity of the light and the specific needs of your plants.
By husslefuss
For lighting, would outdoors in the shade also work for propagating leaf cuttings? I don’t have a good spot in my house for a grow light or a bright windowsill to keep the cuttings
By Intheswamp
I did some filiformis leaf cuttings last year and really had no idea what I was doing (still don't! :lol: ). I got a square semi-clear plastic container at Hobby Lobby that had a flip top...I think it was a index card holder. Anyhow, I filled it about 2/3's with some Better-Gro LFSM from Lowes or maybe Home Depot. I topped the other 1/3 off with some live sphagnum moss that I had and laid the cuttings on top of it. I kept the box in an area that got a few hours of direct sun, but mostly dappled lighting. I *always* kept the lid propped open at least a half-inch to keep heat from building up too much. Those cuttings worked great! To harden them off I just kept propping the lid up more and more. I think if they could get some bright daylight with a little direct sun it would be better than shade...but be sure to keep them wet and the lid/covering vented well. That's my feeble experience...so far. ;)
By husslefuss
Hey if it worked you must know somewhat what you're doing :lol: Since you were able to make it work outdoors I think i might try this method with some water and just pray. Weather is still mild right now so hopefully I'll get a strike before my area starts to bake!

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!