FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey all,

My humidifier keeps breaking ( :roll: ) and when this happens (which is often enough) it will completely stop working and I basically need to turn it off and back on. The issue is I'm still working on getting fans in there so the heat evaporates all of the moisture in the air and pots in a matter of hours. Usually I don't notice this in time so a few plants will dry out. Normally everything is ok in the end but this time I think I lost a few things, including my favorite little dews, my rotundifolia var. Corsica. I will be working on getting the fans I bought in the cabinet tonight but in case these fans don't work as planned, what can I do in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!
By Intheswamp
Tray water in a larger and deeper pans of water. If you have an empty spot...put a bowl of water there. Larger water reservoirs will take longer to dry down and should raise the humidity some. Sundews and pitchers I think would be ok with a high water level. Pots of flytraps and other plants (whatever those are) that like it a bit more dry could be raised up in the trays a bit with something below them. Even if it dries down past them, they should still be somewhat moist for a while and the added humidity of the abundant water might keep the humidity level up enough for them to buy you a few more hours. Just some thoughts from my deranged mind. ;)
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
jmoore3274 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:12 pm Can you share your growing conditions with us. I'm curious to know how warm it is getting in your growing area.
It can vary. usually around 75F. But the humidifier tends to keep it cooler so when the humidifier breaks it usually hits 80F, 85F tops.
By jmoore3274
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:14 am It can vary. usually around 75F. But the humidifier tends to keep it cooler so when the humidifier breaks it usually hits 80F, 85F tops.
Are you keeping the plants in a tray of water?

What type of humidifier are you using? (Steam, Cool mist, evaporative)

How are you keeping track of the temperature and humidity?

Do you have any climate automation or controllers?
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!