FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I planted some dork's pink gemma I got online from a friend months and months ago, and most of them died off with the exception of a single one. I can already see its kind of growing little traps and stuff now that it's warmer, but for some reason, it now looks like it's standing on a tripod and is trying to run away.

The roots don't seem like they're strong enough to break through the peat moss/perlite mix I have?

Is this an issue? Do I just leave it alone and let it do its thing, or do I need to try and get peat around it?

By Nepenthes0260
That's a pretty common occurrence with the first roots of Drosera plantlets from gemmae... normally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you wanted to be extra safe you could always add a bit more soil around the exposed roots or try and (gently!) poke them into the soil using a toothpick or a pair of fine tweezers.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:25 pm That's a pretty common occurrence with the first roots of Drosera plantlets from gemmae... normally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you wanted to be extra safe you could always add a bit more soil around the exposed roots or try and (gently!) poke them into the soil using a toothpick or a pair of fine tweezers.
Whew, that's good to hear then haha. This is my first time growing a gemma mailed to me, and all of them died except for this one which has taken MONTHS to get to this point, so as long as its a ok I'm happy with it! Not sure if I want to risk snapping the roots or something haha

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!