FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CaptainMalnacido
Greetings! its my first year owning Drosera Regia so i have some questions regarding the watering and heat. I have these 2 since 7 to 8 months ago, which means spring will come soon where i live (Mexico), which means temperatures will reach 33-37c during the day in 2 months or so. I have them both under 50% aluminet shade cloth most of the day with around 1 hour of direct sun aroun 4 to 5 pm to 6pm and potted onto 28x19cm cylindrical styrfoam fridges each. So far i top water every 2 weeks which seems enough but im usure if its too much or too little when the spring kicks in, should i water more often? would adding more shading be preferable? Thanks for reading!
Attachments:
The plants when they were in october
P13-10-22_12.281.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1455 times
P13-10-22_12.28.jpg (934.88 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
The styrfoam bin
The styrfoam bin
IMG_1144.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1455 times
Current
Current
IMG_1143.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1455 times
Current
Current
IMG_1141.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1455 times
By nimbulan
Could you provide more details about your climate? What are the expected normal day and night temps during summer? I personally grow my regia out in full sun sitting next to my Sarracenia in water trays. I will sometimes have long periods of time where daytime high temps exceed 35C and may exceed 40C for a couple days on occasion, but with low temps in the low 20's or below. The low night temps do a lot to help the plants tolerate heat.
By CaptainMalnacido
nimbulan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:25 pm Could you provide more details about your climate? What are the expected normal day and night temps during summer? I personally grow my regia out in full sun sitting next to my Sarracenia in water trays. I will sometimes have long periods of time where daytime high temps exceed 35C and may exceed 40C for a couple days on occasion, but with low temps in the low 20's or below. The low night temps do a lot to help the plants tolerate heat.
Well, i live on the center mountainous-ish region, we have 34-36c on spring (which is the hottest seasson here) with 14c night temperature drops, summer is the rainy seasson with 26c at day and 17c night which is the seasson i originaly bought the plants, during summer. I dont let the plants exposed to the rain since the rain is quite intense during this period. My question is mostly if my watering schedule is enough for such heat, here's some graph about the weather on my area. I can provide more details if needed!
Attachments:
weather.png
weather.png (53.49 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
By nimbulan
CaptainMalnacido wrote:
nimbulan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:25 pm Could you provide more details about your climate? What are the expected normal day and night temps during summer? I personally grow my regia out in full sun sitting next to my Sarracenia in water trays. I will sometimes have long periods of time where daytime high temps exceed 35C and may exceed 40C for a couple days on occasion, but with low temps in the low 20's or below. The low night temps do a lot to help the plants tolerate heat.
Well, i live on the center mountainous-ish region, we have 34-36c on spring (which is the hottest seasson here) with 14c night temperature drops, summer is the rainy seasson with 26c at day and 17c night which is the seasson i originaly bought the plants, during summer. I dont let the plants exposed to the rain since the rain is quite intense during this period. My question is mostly if my watering schedule is enough for such heat, here's some graph about the weather on my area. I can provide more details if needed!
Oh those temperatures sound great. You should be able to just leave the plants out in full sun like I do. I just leave mine in a water tray so they always stay wet. Just water however you need to to avoid them drying out. Also note that they may go dormant in winter so don't be concerned if they start dying back towards the end of the year.
By CaptainMalnacido
nimbulan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:11 pm Oh those temperatures sound great. You should be able to just leave the plants out in full sun like I do. I just leave mine in a water tray so they always stay wet. Just water however you need to to avoid them drying out. Also note that they may go dormant in winter so don't be concerned if they start dying back towards the end of the year.
Thank you so much!, i didn't know Regia was able to whistand water tray under direct sun, altough in my case with the styrfoam bin i think i will remain with top watering due the sheer water retention styrfoam has, maybe i could experiment later configuration if i get more plants. Thanks again!
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!