FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DewsandTraps
About half of my plants have green algae growing on the moss, and I was told that the algae is present because of overwatering. How often should I water them? (I'm currently watering them using the tray method)
Attachments:
nidiformis seedlings with algae everywhere!!!
nidiformis seedlings with algae everywhere!!!
IMG_5684.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
Barlapipas 6 liked this
By Intheswamp
Are you fertilizing/feeding the plants? If so, stop.

How deep is the planted container sitting in the water? Keep it moist. But, don't drown the seedlings. It looks *very* wet.

Air flow will help. If you're keeping them under a humidity dome or covered some other way then be sure there is adequate ventilation. You might even think about uncovering them completely for a few hours, check them, if they're doing ok leave them uncovered another few hours.

Did you rinse your growing medium a few times before planting the seeds? Lots of people never rinse and do just fine. Other people have trouble with algae and mosses if they don't rinse well. I'm also go by the moniker "OCD-Me" so I rinse all my media ingredients...peat moss, LFSM, perlite, sand, pepperoni, etc.,. ;) I seldom have any algae issues.

Are you watering with rain water or distilled or RO water? Rain water *may* be introducing algae spores...especially if you're collecting water from the edge of the roof or possibly even more so if collecting via gutters.

But, for you immediate situation I would be lowering the water level (if it is indeed high) and giving the pot lots of fresh air. Even a small fan turned on low to create a gentle breeze over the pot might help matters. And, if you're fertilizing it would probably be a good idea to stop for the time being.

Best wishes!
By DewsandTraps
I've never fertilized any of my plants, but every now and then , one of my plants catches a tiny fruit fly. But that's it.

I'm currently watering all of my plants once a day with about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of water. All my seedlings get watered about every other day with the same amount of water.

I'm not using a humidity dome but the plants are growing in a contained area. They get fresh air when I water them.

I only rinse sphagnum moss, but not peat.

I'm using distilled water for all of my CP's.

I'll start watering them less often and with less water. I'll also take off their covering.
Thanks.
By optique
don't use a water trey with LFSM. Its ok if you are going out of town ever so often but full time it will cause issues. I let my LFSM get crusty on top then water.
Intheswamp liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!