Venus Fly Traps

A few typicals

Sundews
Drosera seedlings

Want List:

Drosera Spatula
Drosera Capensis
Hardy flytraps
Last edited by sans on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
-Stanley-, hollyhock, ChelleB1005 and 2 others liked this
By Intheswamp
That's how it first starts. Innocently picking up a flytrap in a death-cube. Suddenly, you find yourself oogling exotic cultivars online...when suddenly one appears at your house. You're defenses begin to crumble. You add another one. ...and another one! Then, you just gotta try something else and you try something new...a couple of sundews...innocent enough. And the hooks are set and your willpower crumbles and you can't resist the lure of the bug-eating monsters!!!! Soon you're asking for seeds...doing deep searches on the Internet trying to figure out how to "grow your own" to support your habit. You spends hours looking for pots, searching how other people are propagating plants, ideas on re-purposing containers...then you really go over to the deep end and start looking at light bulbs, studying color temperatures, and DLI, and shelves and all kinds of "necessities". You peer dozens of times a day at a pot of peat moss and perlite...waiting for a speck of green to appear. You go into full-panic mode when a leaf on a flytrap starts getting a black spot on it.

...your family, your friends, your probation officers, they all think you've kinda, well, gone off on a tangent and they don't know whether to worry or be thankful you're not interested in collecting Barney the dinosaur figurines.

...then one day you find yourself there...catching flies to feed your plants and staring for hours as the leaves of the sundew slowly curls around a doomed bug as the tentacles slowly lean in and stick it's gluey dew drop to it. Or maybe, you giggle ridiculously as you watch a flytrap snap shut on the hapless bug you just dropped into it.

Yeah, it all starts out with a single plant. They know what they're doing. There goal is world domination. A sinister conspiracy of carnivorous plants. You've passed the point of "no return", sans. Welcome to the addiction!!! :mrgreen:
TrapsAndDews, -Stanley-, sans and 2 others liked this
By TrapsAndDews
That is so accurate @Intheswamp. Exactly the same way I got into the hobby. From the death cube flytrap, to the hours spent reading about growlights, and finally having relatives question if you are mentally sane. :lol:
-Stanley- liked this
By sans
Intheswamp wrote:That's how it first starts. Innocently picking up a flytrap in a death-cube. Suddenly, you find yourself oogling exotic cultivars online...when suddenly one appears at your house. You're defenses begin to crumble. You add another one. ...and another one! Then, you just gotta try something else and you try something new...a couple of sundews...innocent enough. And the hooks are set and your willpower crumbles and you can't resist the lure of the bug-eating monsters!!!! Soon you're asking for seeds...doing deep searches on the Internet trying to figure out how to "grow your own" to support your habit. You spends hours looking for pots, searching how other people are propagating plants, ideas on re-purposing containers...then you really go over to the deep end and start looking at light bulbs, studying color temperatures, and DLI, and shelves and all kinds of "necessities". You peer dozens of times a day at a pot of peat moss and perlite...waiting for a speck of green to appear. You go into full-panic mode when a leaf on a flytrap starts getting a black spot on it.

...your family, your friends, your probation officers, they all think you've kinda, well, gone off on a tangent and they don't know whether to worry or be thankful you're not interested in collecting Barney the dinosaur figurines.

...then one day you find yourself there...catching flies to feed your plants and staring for hours as the leaves of the sundew slowly curls around a doomed bug as the tentacles slowly lean in and stick it's gluey dew drop to it. Or maybe, you giggle ridiculously as you watch a flytrap snap shut on the hapless bug you just dropped into it.

Yeah, it all starts out with a single plant. They know what they're doing. There goal is world domination. A sinister conspiracy of carnivorous plants. You've passed the point of "no return", sans. Welcome to the addiction!!! :mrgreen:
i was kinda worried about that.
Intheswamp liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 am That's how it first starts. Innocently picking up a flytrap in a death-cube. Suddenly, you find yourself oogling exotic cultivars online...when suddenly one appears at your house. You're defenses begin to crumble. You add another one. ...and another one! Then, you just gotta try something else and you try something new...a couple of sundews...innocent enough. And the hooks are set and your willpower crumbles and you can't resist the lure of the bug-eating monsters!!!! Soon you're asking for seeds...doing deep searches on the Internet trying to figure out how to "grow your own" to support your habit. You spends hours looking for pots, searching how other people are propagating plants, ideas on re-purposing containers...then you really go over to the deep end and start looking at light bulbs, studying color temperatures, and DLI, and shelves and all kinds of "necessities". You peer dozens of times a day at a pot of peat moss and perlite...waiting for a speck of green to appear. You go into full-panic mode when a leaf on a flytrap starts getting a black spot on it.

I am doing all of that but my collection is as big as sans.
By Intheswamp
It'll grow, Bp6, it'll grow. Be sure to focus on quality and then quantity. From looking at your plants I think you're doing pretty good on the quality part! ;)
By sans
BCP Z02 was added onto the list.
Intheswamp liked this
By sans
VFT seedlings and D. Regia seedlings were added. This list is gonna grow lol mostly because of this forum :lol:
By sans
Some of my plants were... annihilated by squirrels.
By sans
Finally got pictures!
Attachments:
IMG_20230730_093026521.jpg
IMG_20230730_093026521.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
IMG_20230730_093017834.jpg
IMG_20230730_093017834.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
IMG_20230730_092933235.jpg
IMG_20230730_092933235.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
IMG_20230730_092928072.jpg
IMG_20230730_092928072.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
IMG_20230730_092907765.jpg
IMG_20230730_092907765.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
IMG_20230730_092829031.jpg
IMG_20230730_092829031.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
Death cube VFT with cupped traps
Death cube VFT with cupped traps
IMG_20230730_092809057.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
Very proud of this one (Origin: baby received from FTS)
Very proud of this one (Origin: baby received from FTS)
IMG_20230730_092753655.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
Last edited by sans on Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sans
Very proud of the Venus i got as a unknown baby from FTS. Also excited for my new nepenthes (hope they're hardy plants!)
I also have a death cube VFT and it seems to keep the cupped traps, so i guess that's cool too.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!