FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By NineLine
I'd love to see/hear about your seed-growing setup! Do you have a list of starter essentials for growing your CPs?
By MikeB
Cheap germination pots: leftover take-out containers.
Rectangular.jpg
Rectangular.jpg (77.63 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Round.jpg
Round.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
The clear lids let in plenty of light and help raise the humidity.

Bottom: punch holes for drainage, if necessary.
Top: punch holes for airflow, or prop open one side.
NineLine, DUB-C liked this
By Intheswamp
These threads should give you some ideas on planting seeds. But, I must ask...what kind of seeds are you planting? My main interest is in sundews but have started a few flytraps and have some small purple flytraps I'm trying to "grow up" (thanks MikeB!!!). So, I can't say much about growing flytraps from seed.

With sundews you definitely want a *very* humid environment for germination and then a pretty high humidity level until the seedlings get a little size on them. Some sundews require stratification, lots don't. A 1;1 peat moss to perlite mix is usually recommended...but there are other ratios and a coarse sand is used for some mixes....some sundews do well in most any kind of growing medium while other sundews do better in a more sandy mix...or maybe one with more perlite...or more peat moss. It varies.

Naturally only use rain water or distilled water. I prefer distilled water for germination so that you don't introduce mold or algae spores that might grow faster than the tiny seedlings. Once the seedlings get a little size on them I go to rain water.

Here's a few threads that you might can glean some info from...

A thread on some containers: CUPS, TRAYS, BAGS, AND OTHER "WHAT-HAVE-YOU" CONTAINERS<GRIN>...

This question was for planting sundews. Flytraps can probably start out in 3-4 inch deep pots but will need to go to 6" or deeper ones as they mature. Sundews apparently can handle shallower containers... ARE THESE PLANTERS TOO SHALLOW?

My own deer-in-the-headlights seed planting thread... ;) :D JUST GOT TWO ENVELOPES OF SEEDS...NOW I'M FREAKIN'OUT!!!!!!!!!

Hope some of that helps!!! :mrgreen:
By Intheswamp
The patience part is true, though. Growing from seed is time consuming. Faster results can be had with leaf cuttings and leaf pullings. Do a search here on the forum for those methods of propagation. Leaf cuttings can produce larger seedlings, faster. The trick is...you've gotta have a plant to take the cuttings from. But, one plant can produce lots of new plants. For example, a 1-1/2" segment of a filiformis leaf could produce 1-3 "strikes"...or plantlets. A filiformis leaf is a long, grass-like sundew so you could have a leaf 12 inches long divided into short sections...you can see how that single leaf could start *several* small plantlets. Smaller plants may only start one or two new plants per leaf...but, they will start out larger and grow faster than seedlings will grow. But, sometimes you get nothing from leaf cuttings...but sometimes you do the same with seeds. Nothings perfect, but I think starting from leaf-cuttings is really worth the effort. The plants started with leaf-cuttings are also identical clones of the parent plant. Plants started from seed can have variances in them. If you get an adult sundew I highly suggest you try leaf-cuttings at least once...you'll see what I'm talking about. I bought some d. tracyii seeds a while back...I would have been *much* better off buying a plant and taking leaf cuttings from it....I'm learning. ;)
By Intheswamp
I just saw where you're sending in some cape seeds to the seed bank. Your plant would be a good donor for doing leaf cuttings. ;)
By MikeB
NineLine wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:26 am About how deep is your soil in there when you plant?
Typical take-out containers are fairly shallow, running about 1.5 inches / 38 mm deep. I have a few round ones that are 2.5 inches / 64 mm deep.
NineLine liked this
By Intheswamp
Mike, how long do you leave sundews started in those plastic containers before up-potting them to deeper ones?
NineLine liked this
By NineLine
@Intheswamp, thank you for all of your thoughts and advice! I will have to try your suggestion for leaf propagation! I tried growing from seed once, which was straightforward, although it took quite a while. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:24 pm Mike, how long do you leave sundews started in those plastic containers before up-potting them to deeper ones?
On average, 4-6 months after they sprouted. When the plants get too tall and start "bumping their heads" on the clear lid, I'll acclimate them to lower humidity and then remove the lid.
Intheswamp liked this
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!