FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Andrew42x89
It’s been just over four weeks since I started my first attempt at propagating from leaves and I’ve got my first strike on one of the Emerald’s Envy cuttings. Gotta love it!
Intheswamp, MikeB, Shadowtski and 3 others liked this
By Gary
Cool, congrats! I've never had luck with leaf cuttings, but I do well with seeds.
By Intheswamp
Interesting, Gary. Leaf cuttings seem to work better for me than starting from seed does. The cuttings produce sprouts faster and the plantlets grow faster and bigger that their seed-started counterparts. It seems I can get the seeds to germinate but then the tiny plants just don't grow...or grow *very* slowly. Maybe I'm just impatient?
By Gary
Yes, they do grow very slowly. My first set of seeds took several weeks to germinate, and the resulting plants are still mostly quite small.
I've tried leaf cuttings in distilled water, in a "soup" of peat and water, laying the cuttings on wet peat with no results. It may be that I need to use "newer" leaves, I usually try this with older leaves, but not wilted or dried up ones.
By Intheswamp
My success has been laying the cuttings on live sphagnum moss over dried (Better-Gro) sphagnum moss. With peat and water I did not have that good of luck. I have an aversion to the tannins and humic acid in peat moss...it seems it can cause problems with things. It seems like even seeds do better on sphagnum moss than peat moss. Just my thoughts... :)
Gary, hollyhock liked this
By Gary
When I lay the cuttings on the peat, I'm careful to keep everything misted and wet. The leaves will stay green for 3-4 weeks, then start yellowing and dying.
I never tried using wet LFSM. I keep plenty of dried moss around to use when repotting. I'll try it when the weather warms up. Thanks!
Intheswamp liked this
By Andrew42x89
Every “Emerald’s Envy” leaf cutting had one strike. Just moved them into a pot.
49EBF984-D4DB-48AA-83F6-FAAAB0E375F4.jpeg
49EBF984-D4DB-48AA-83F6-FAAAB0E375F4.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
Intheswamp, Gary liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!