FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I realize that these cultivars are rare, but some people really have more money than sense....
GJ Bloody Nurse.jpg
GJ Bloody Nurse.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
GJ Nosferatu.jpg
GJ Nosferatu.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
By tommyr
The most I ever paid was $50. From Matt for a small DCXL 9 years ago when he first released them. I won't go over $50. I see some of these prices and SMH all the time. Some Nepenthes prices are beyond insane IMHO.
By DragonsEye
Hang wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:21 pm Hey dont forget about the people who buys neps
I'm with Hang on this one.
Hang liked this
By Barlapipas 6
How can a flytrap be this expensive? After all cultivars are just selected seedings. By this logic I can call any seedling a “rare cultivar” because it has slightly different color or teeth and sell it for hundreds of dollars. But in reality it is just a seedling like all the other plants that were not selected. Anyone who buys very expensive varieties of a plant that it is not meant to be that expensive has some unhealthy obsessions.
By tommyr
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm How can a flytrap be this expensive? After all cultivars are just selected seedings. By this logic I can call any seedling a “rare cultivar” because it has slightly different color or teeth and sell it for hundreds of dollars. But in reality it is just a seedling like all the other plants that were not selected. Anyone who buys very expensive varieties of a plant that it is not meant to be that expensive has some unhealthy obsessions.
It's not quite as easy as you think it is. I'll let Matt explain it, he would do a better job of it.
By Intheswamp
Whatever a buyer and seller agree upon determines the price of something. No fault of either party. Nothing unhealthy about it. For me, I have higher priorities than spending money on excessively expensive plants...like, I'd rather buy a nice grow light to help me grow my own (hopefully) ridiculously expensive plants one day!!! :mrgreen:
Camden liked this
By Camden
When you have a collection of something and you're missing a piece, no matter how beautiful or ugly that piece is, you'll always know you're missing something. In the back of your head, it nags and nags at you every time you look at your collection. You see it go up for sale and you have money to burn, why wouldn't you buy it? I guess it's almost like a jigsaw puzzle, yes it may be pretty with most of the pieces but that missing void of a piece sticks out like a sore thumb.
By Z_Y
To be fair I'm sure plenty of us would pay that much for a flytrap that had 3" traps or something. Just different strokes for different folks.

That being said some of these cultivars look exactly the same. At least it's not as bad as ceph "cultivars" yet, haha.
Camden liked this
By Barlapipas 6
I forgot to add that what I said counts only for expensive cultivars that look the same as other cheaper cultivars.
Camden liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!