FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Jaks128
Hi
I’m new to growing flycatchers. I’ve always wanted one. I think they are amazing, I live in the Uk. Mine is sitting on the windowsill at the moment. When we get better weather I will sit it outside.
I’m a bit worried about it as some of the ends has be started to look dry. It sits in a saucer of water n the landing. Gets plenty of light. Topped up by water from our butt in the garden. Wondering if it needs to go in the conservatory. When it gets better weather I was going to put it outside.
By Sundews69
Welcome to the forum!
Your plant could be trying to go dormant. They will kill off most/all of their foliage when they start their sleep.
A couple things you need to be aware of though when growing carnivorous plants (CPs):
1. EVERYTHING needs to be nutrient free. This includes:
---A. water. The only water you should use is distilled, reverse osmosis, and rain water. Typically tap water has too many minerals.
---B. soil. The best soil for CPs can vary, but for venus flytraps (which I'm assuming you have when you say "flycatchers") a mix of fertilizer free peat moss and perlite in a 50:50 ratio is great.
2. CPs need LOTS of light! Usually windowsills cannot provide sufficient lighting. They thrive outdoors in the summer under intense lighting or under grow lights for 12-16 hours a day.

Obviously it varies from species to species and even plant to plant, but these are the general rules of growing CPs. Some may want more or less light, different growing medium, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Good luck!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!