FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I always use the same of water for this reason! Today at the super market they didn’t have the brand that I use and they only had one with a penguin on the label. I thought it was suspicious from the moment I looked at it. And I was right. It says that it is distilled water and you can use it for car batteries or chemistry stuff but when I measured it with my TDS meter the result was 32ppm! They one that I use is 0ppm. At least I have some water left. I hope they don’t bring other bottles with this stupid penguin!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1386 times
By Intheswamp
I would say that it's definitely not distilled water, with a TDS reading of 32ppm. But, it is still within range of what is recommended for CPs. Even with your regular water you might want to check each jug just to "be sure". If you're unhappy with it I'd take it back for a refund and look elsewhere for a different water...carry your meter with you to show them if they start quizzing you about it. ;) Did you do a side-by-side test of the new versus old water...to make sure something wonky wasn't going on with your meter?

It's like when I catch up some rainwater...I check it each time and definitely find that the TDS reading is variable...nothing unusable, though.
tommyr liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Yes I first checked the penguin water and it was 32ppm and then immediately I checked the usual water and it was 0ppm. So yes it is not distilled water and I don’t like to use water with more than 20ppm.
By Intheswamp
I understand. You can use it for other plants or for coffee. ;)
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!