FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I met a kind person online who shipped me four Dork's Pink gemmae for free, and I've been trying to grow them with no success.

I received them in the mail a few weeks ago, and put them on the surface of a 50/50 mix of perlite and peat moss, then put them 9 inches under my Yescom 225 growlights. At first, it looked like they were starting to grow, but as the weeks have passed it looks like the gemmae are failing.

I mist them every day with a little distilled water on the surface.

I've included some pictures below. Do they still look like they'll make it, or is this a failure?

Not sure what I did wrong. Is the strike rate just low for these? Were they damaged during shipping due to the cold? Did I mist them too frequently? Too much/too little light?

A few days ago one looked like this:

Now they look like this:

By NightRaider
Personally I always mist mine one time when I place them in the pot, sit the pot in a small amount of water and then just cover with saran wrap (slightly loosely to let out heat) for a couple weeks until I start seeing leaves. Never had any issues doing it that way. I also prefer using peat/sand rather than perlite for pygmies since it makes for a much more uniform substrate at small scales. Honestly if I had to guess personally I'd say it looks like they may have just rotted from getting misted so often and being placed on a spot of pure peat. Your soil looks a *lot* wetter than I keep mine, at least.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
NightRaider wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:42 pm Personally I always mist mine one time when I place them in the pot, sit the pot in a small amount of water and then just cover with saran wrap (slightly loosely to let out heat) for a couple weeks until I start seeing leaves. Never had any issues doing it that way. I also prefer using peat/sand rather than perlite for pygmies since it makes for a much more uniform substrate at small scales. Honestly if I had to guess personally I'd say it looks like they may have just rotted from getting misted so often and being placed on a spot of pure peat. Your soil looks a *lot* wetter than I keep mine, at least.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Damn, yeah, you might be right. I should have wrapped it instead of misting it. I just have it otherwise sitting in a small tray of water as well.

I'll know for next time, at least!
By ChefDean
Green = life (usually).
While my gemmae experience is limited, I have had many gemmae sprout on peat/perlite without a problem. I've done better on LFSM, but that's gotten expensive.
My suggestion would be to leave them be until they sprout (I've had them take a couple of months), or until they can no longer be seen (one may be already close to that point).
Nikson liked this
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!