FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I know it's frustrating but it's all part of the learning curve. You'll eventually figure out what combination of temp, humidity, light and soil works for you - at least, most of the time . The rest of us can give you the possibilites but each of us has different conditions and we can only tell you what the common knowlege is and what actually worked for us. Luckily, there's plenty more seeds where those came from. Just keep plugging away at it.
Intheswamp liked this
By Lain
It's too early to give up! Evenwind is right. I've failed way too many times but thanks to all the helpful people here I did manage to finally sprout seeds! Then I lost them because I broke my ankle and wrist. I have my notes for when I start again but I am expecting some road bumps just don't give up! The types of seeds you tried are aplenty and you'll find success before too long.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I guess it's frustrating to me because I always do well with germinating my tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc.,...lots of times 100% germination rate. This is a new challenge for me! ;) I peeked back at the uncovered pots and saw one lone seedling in those, either an Intermedia or a Spat. Two of the pots that have been bagged have a fair number of seedlings growing in them...Intermedia or Spats in one and the other one has Capilarris sprouts in it. I have one uncovered and one covered pot that contain both Capes and Spats seeds and neither one has sprouted anything.

I un-bagged the covered pots and moved them up on the windowsill...not really bright light but better than where it was. Maybe the seedlings that are in there will respond to the light increase and open air. I wish I could put them outside but the heat is too high now. But, just out of curiosity, I might take a few seeds of each variety, plant the mix in a small pot, and set it outside in a tray of water to see what happens. I'm just don't have a real good sunny window to use. I start my vegetable seedlings under lights in an old trailer early in the spring when there's cool to cold temperatures. I just have to worry about a little heating...but, without running the air-conditioner, it would be way too hot in there now.
By Intheswamp
If you mean move the lights from the trailer to the house I really don't have anywhere to set them up. Primarily 4' shop lights are what I use, though I did buy a pair of "garage light" lights last year that have three LED panels on each one...they have a standard screw-in lamp base. I'm thinking they're 8000 lumens and 6500k temperature. They seemed to work ok with vegetable seedlings this spring but they do put off a good amount of heat.
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:17 am Remember these seeds can take a while. Up to a month or more. Try to practice some um, er.... patience. :lol:
There were two buzzards sitting all hunched over on a dead tree limb one day. They sat there silently for two or three hours until one of them turned to the other one and said, "Patience my azz, I'm gonna go kill something!".

:mrgreen:
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:10 am If you mean move the lights from the trailer to the house I really don't have anywhere to set them up. Primarily 4' shop lights are what I use, though I did buy a pair of "garage light" lights last year that have three LED panels on each one...they have a standard screw-in lamp base. I'm thinking they're 8000 lumens and 6500k temperature. They seemed to work ok with vegetable seedlings this spring but they do put off a good amount of heat.
yeah, I didn't think you would be able to move those lights anywhere. I think that type of light should be ok, but wait for other forum members to give there thoughts before getting it all set up. Also, do you know the wattage of that light?
By Intheswamp
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:58 pm
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:27 pm I just throw my temperates in the fridge and forget get about them (I really do forget about them), until one day I notice that they're still in the fridge.
Forgetting them??? No problem, I've got that part covered!!!!!!
Well, duhhhhh.... I just got a "reminder" on my phone that I had stratifying drosera seeds ready for planting. “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.” :mrgreen:
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote:Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Congratulations, you elicited an audible groan from my daughter when I read this out loud.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:30 pm
Intheswamp wrote:Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Congratulations, you elicited an audible groan from my daughter when I read this out loud.
I've been looking all over the place for the photo to show your daughter...I finally found it in my Flickr account. I put it together for a contest years ago. Tell your daughter "You're welcome!" for me!!! :lol:
ImageGrouchy Banana by Ed Welch, on Flickr
Camden liked this

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Sarracenia ID

Got them from mesa exotics if that helps Sent fro[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Dang. That is huge!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!