FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello!
I got this cactus the other day, which looks like some sort of barrel cactus to me. I used a few plant identification apps, and they all point toward the golden barrel cactus, but I'm not too sure since, when I look up Golden barrels, they tend to have firmer spines that are really pointy and don't point up toward the crown. But with this little guy, his spines aren't very sharp, and they do point upward toward the crown.
Anybody know what it is?Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Sundews69
Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?
By That one plant boi
Sundews69 wrote:Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?
Sorry for the late reply!

I got it at a small festival in the Tampa midtown they had going on a few weeks ago. There was a succulent stand with lots of different types of things, and that's where I got it. Still haven't figured out what it is yet, but it's certainly not a golden barrel. I got one about a week ago and they're totally different looking.

By Sundews69
That one plant boi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm
Sundews69 wrote:Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?

I got it at a small festival in the Tampa midtown they had going on a few weeks ago. There was a succulent stand with lots of different types of things, and that's where I got it. Still haven't figured out what it is yet, but it's certainly not a golden barrel. I got one about a week ago and they're totally different looking.

Hmmm, ok. I guess I won't be able to get one myself. Keep us updated if you figure it out!
By That one plant boi
Sundews69 wrote:
That one plant boi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm

Hmmm, ok. I guess I won't be able to get one myself. Keep us updated if you figure it out!
Will do!

Sundews69 liked this
By SDK1
The upward curve to the spines almost looks Oroya-ish to ne but I bet it's an Echinopsis spp. Still pretty young so it'll become easier to ID once it gets older and particularly once it flowers.
By ChefDean
From what I could find, possibly in the Parodia genus, maybe a Parodia schumanniana.
Another possibility is a hybrid between an Echinocactus and Ferocactus recently named Kroenlenia grusonii. They look very similar to your pic when young.
By SDK1
Parodia schummaniana is pretty rare in cultivation; I'd be extremely surprised to find it at an market in downtown Tampa. But weirder things have happened so it's possible.

Kroenlenia grusonii is a golden barrel cactus. Super common, just recently got reclassified. With those aereoles and deep ribs, I'm still betting it's an echinopsis or lobivia species. If the OP can give it a cool winter rest there's a good chance it'll flower this spring.
By SDK1
Alright, so I mainly grow cacti (about 75 right now, down from about 300) and this one has been bugging me because even Echinopsis didn't seem quite right. I just so happened to stumble across the pic I've attached being sold as Coleocephalocereus aureus. It's a dead ringer for your plant and I never would've been able to place it just by looking at the mature version of the plant.
20221220_233723.jpg
20221220_233723.jpg (166.46 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Really neat little tropical cactus that grows a cephalium once it's mature. Probably self fertile as most cephalium-bearing cacti are. These cacti, like Melocactus, are a bit tricky because they get a little temperamental about being repotted, especially once they're older and because they still like to be watered (lightly) in winter along with needing to be kept warmer during their dormant-ish period than many of their desert-dwelling cousins. Probably easier to do if you live somewhere it doesn't freeze though.
ChefDean liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!